• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to search for remote working contract opportunites?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to search for remote working contract opportunites?

Has anyone found a decent recipe for searching the popular job bulletin boards for remote work jobs?

JobServe and JobSite tend to be location biased and fiddly to operate.

Ideas welcomed

Remote as in away from home or work from home?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Remote as in away from home or work from home?
      If the intent was 'away from home' then one just checks the client location and makes sure it's far enough away from home. [just keeping you honest ]

'Work from home' must be a lot harder to find and only certain fields/roles may even have a client willing to start on that stance. In my experience they always start with on site as the expectation, but sometimes the client has a WFH policy for their staff that makes it easier to put forward your case for doing the same, or you have a decent enough relationship with the client that WFH becomes a possibility.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        If the intent was 'away from home' then one just checks the client location and makes sure it's far enough away from home. [just keeping you honest ]

'Work from home' must be a lot harder to find and only certain fields/roles may even have a client willing to start on that stance. In my experience they always start with on site as the expectation, but sometimes the client has a WFH policy for their staff that makes it easier to put forward your case for doing the same, or you have a decent enough relationship with the client that WFH becomes a possibility.
        Not many remote from the off. Depends what you do.

I thought about it a few years when wife was ill. Its just not really doable unfortunately.

Like others have said. Best bet is to see how it goes and hope you can swing it. Some clients will go for it some wont ever. My current client is 90% of the way towards never - its taken me almost two years to squeeze one day WFH per fortnight. And that was only in lieu of a rate increase they refused.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
          Has anyone found a decent recipe for searching the popular job bulletin boards for remote work jobs?

JobServe and JobSite tend to be location biased and fiddly to operate.

Ideas welcomed

The question on many lips. There are a few members on this forum who claim that they simply slip it in during the final stages of (a successful) interview with client, something like "I usually execute my work from home except for client meetings, hope that won't cause any issues". And apparently this works. Simple as that.

I haven't summoned up the balls to try it out though - yet. Maybe a good time to try it is when I have two potential contract ops next time I'm looking, so that if client A blows up I'll have B to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
            "I usually execute my work from home except for client meetings, hope that won't cause any issues".
            "we usually have daily meetings you are required to attend, hope that won't cause any issues"

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
              "we usually have daily meetings you are required to attend, hope that won't cause any issues"
              "Thanks - can you email me the dial-in number?"

It's not tricky.

Comment

"thanks, we'll let you know"

Comment

If you’re a young dev. then look at Hacker News. They have a monthly Who is Hiring post. Most of the roles are based in the US but a number offer remote options including UK based advertisers.

I’ve found in the last ten years that almost all contracts offer optional remote work depending on the project phase. Interestingly enough that remote option is becoming increasingly mandatory for at least part of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hapax View Post
                    Interestingly enough that remote option is becoming increasingly mandatory for at least part of the week.

I've seen that when the client restructured and one area of the business ended up with more staff than desks.

They changed most of the desks into hot desks with an empty desk policy at the end of the day (drawers provided for permies who wanted to put tat on their desks each day), and as most of them had laptops they arranged a rota where they took turns to WFH within their small teams.

Worked quite well most of the time, though no-one knew where anyone else was. "In a meeting I think, or working from home today".

Resolved itself when the next restructure was to let loads of them go.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X