• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expert Advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expert Advice needed

Hi all

Apologies for basic questions that i may be asking. I am going back to contracting from perm after 3 years. When I used to do contracting i used to go down the umbrella route as contract lengths were not long and i was new to contracting.

I am going to sign a new contract with a company that is a year long contract and could go on longer. I am going to be doing support work which will be standard 7.5 hours a day.

The contract could go on for a number of years but it is 12 months rolling. I have heard about all the IR35 and SDC and I do not want to get caught in them. The day rate is not much in fact it is around 150 per day. In terms of miles i will be doing 70miles per day.

Should i go down the route of umbrella or limited. ? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Andy

I just did a year contract, went limited and used QDOS accounting.

Comment

Originally posted by andys123 View Post
      The contract could go on for a number of years but it is 12 months rolling. I have heard about all the IR35 and SDC and I do not want to get caught in them. The day rate is not much in fact it is around 150 per day. In terms of miles i will be doing 70miles per day.

Should i go down the route of umbrella or limited. ? Any advice would be appreciated
      Q1) Having done your research, do you think the role is going to be inside or outside IR35?

Q2) Do you want to run a limited company?

If you are inside IR35 and running your own limited company, then you can't claim your travel and subsistence expenses. Which is where the second question becomes more important - because if you don't want to run the company, then on that rate using a reputable umbrella becomes more appealing.

If you invoice 200 days a year at £150 a day, then that's £30000 over the year. Personally, I'd go umbrella, unless the contract was going to be outside IR35 - because then you can claim the travel expenses.

Comment

12 months rolling is a bit of an IR35 nightmare though.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

150 notes a day, brolly for def HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by andys123 View Post
            Hi all

Apologies for basic questions that i may be asking. I am going back to contracting from perm after 3 years. When I used to do contracting i used to go down the umbrella route as contract lengths were not long and i was new to contracting.

I am going to sign a new contract with a company that is a year long contract and could go on longer. I am going to be doing support work which will be standard 7.5 hours a day.

Thanks
            Andy
            <Mod note: rubbish advice>

Comment

Here is a thread that debunks the two rule mentioned.
              http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/top..._debunked.html

It's not for the OP. It's for the pillock that's trying to advise him.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 March 2017, 11:56.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk
                Absolute bulltulip from start to finish. Please, do us a favour and delete your account.
                +1. Can't believe the advice he's given to a newbie looking for help. With those rose tinted glasses and a total lack of understanding/judgement of the facts staring you in the face maybe he should apply for the England Manager job!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post

<mod note: rubbish advice>
                  OP, please don't take advice from this post.

Comment

This advice is so awful that I've taken the rare step in Professional of removing it completely.

I've informed uk contractor to improve his advice if he wants to stay.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X