• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - how often do they get cancelled?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting - how often do they get cancelled?

Hey All,

Got an offer for a contract role (my first contract) and apparently it will take some time till the checks are completed, I am given the contract, hand in my notice and then do my notice period (being permie now).

As you may (or may not) understand am both excited and scared.

How often do contracts get cancelled before they even start? Has this happened to you or am I just paranoid about this?

Thinking of signing up with QDOS, so I can form the company as well. Being new to this, I am thinking about the QDOS ASSURED PLUS package but it seems quite expensive (given I am still on my permie salary and won't be starting on the contract for at least a couple of months).

Any thoughts on the above?

I've never had it happen in 8 years. Someone on here had it happen twice in a year. It's part of the game and it's not really a big deal as you will still be looking right up to the day you start so had nothing in the end anyway.

It doesn't happen often enough to get your knickers in a twist.

Spend time thinking about other things like IR35 which could cost you 100's of K if you get it wrong.

All that said its much more like to happen when a client is waiting for you work notice. Missed that when I read it first. You say a couple of months???? Clients tend to want a very quick start and will not wait for a contractor.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 June 2016, 22:07.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeap... one month notice indeed!

The client said they are happy to wait given they know I am a permie now.

QDOS should be able to tell me about IR35 once I get the contract, right?

Comment

Yep but you should really have a good understanding yourself. You can quite easily put yourself inside with the way act on site so need to know what not to do.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 13 June 2016, 22:51.

Comment

Get the contract reviewed asap.

Comment

Most people don't understand statistics. Even if we said it happens 1% of the time. Then you are in that 1%. You would feel cheated. But you should not be.

If you are that nervous then maybe you should think again.

Comment

@SlipTheJab, haven't got the contract yet.

I received an offer which I have accepted.

As far as the agent told me, compliance will send me all the details. When I receive the details I will need to form a company and send them all the documentation for the client to begin the process.

Only after the checks will I get the contract, at which point I will hand in my notice.

@NLUK, I will read on IR35 to know exactly what's happening and have my contracted reviewed as well.

@BrilloPad, luckily I have a good grasp of statistics knowing the probabilities though puts things in perspective. If you told me it happens 1% of the time, I wouldn't care at all (even knowing that I can be in the 1% population).... however, if the experience from everyone was 9/10 contracts being cancelled, I would just stay a permie... simple as.

Any feedback for QDOS? I'll call them today to have a chat and hopefully get a better rate!

Comment

Feedback for QDOS? Not sure what you mean there. Your contract likely to specify PI/PL insurance which they supply as well so ask about that. You could give them my code (QCL57133) so I can get some Amazon vouchers if you don't mind.

Comment

The good news is that you have enough time to read up on IR35 simultaneously while setting up your company etc. If your contract begins next week, I'd have suggested an umbrella. Plenty to read here --->

Any feedback for QDOS? I'll call them today to have a chat and hopefully get a better rate!
                  Good choice about QDOS and do add their TLC35 product to your insurance. After you receive the contract and before you sign it, get it reviewed through QDOS for any IR35 catches(next day or the normal review depending on when you receive the contract).

Thinking of signing up with QDOS, so I can form the company as well. Being new to this, I am thinking about the QDOS ASSURED PLUS package but it seems quite expensive (given I am still on my permie salary and won't be starting on the contract for at least a couple of months).
                  Yes, but you do know that you can claim it back from your company, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Feedback for QDOS? Not sure what you mean there. Your contract likely to specify PI/PL insurance which they supply as well so ask about that. You could give them my code (QCL57133) so I can get some Amazon vouchers if you don't mind.
                    That is the outdated code NLUK.

@OP - Gissa moment, I'll provide the right one ....

Comment

Working...
                    X