• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - how often do they get cancelled?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@OP.. You really should get IPSE+ membership as well as it covers you for contracts falling through before they start. You are covered up to about £1000 on the business interruption cover. It's worth it for that alone but there are many other advantages like tax and IR35 cover, IPSE advantages for shopping and the list goes on.

You can join up here
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

@FatLazyContractor Indeed, I am aware I can claim these expenses

I believe QDOS do offer 10% off for your first three months fees for new joiners - was just wondering if there was something for the first year or so... hehe!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        @OP.. You really should get IPSE+ membership as well as it covers you for contracts falling through before they start. You are covered up to about £1000 on the business interruption cover. It's worth it for that alone but there are many other advantages like tax and IR35 cover, IPSE advantages for shopping and the list goes on.

You can join up here
        Yeah, I have been looking at this as well and seems like the sensible way to go.

Thanks for the reminders!

Comment

Also a bit confused between the differences of qdosaccounting and qdoscontractor.

Does the first one deal with all the accounting needs of the limited company while the other one offers products that are just additional bolt-on you can get on their own?

Comment

And the one who seems to have benefited the most on this thread is NLUK

@OP - If cashflow is a problem, you could always join IPSE after you receive the first payment into your company. I will provide a fresh link later for registration

As for accountants, doesn't matter as long as you have one. SJD is pretty good. Cannot find my registration code at the moment for SJD.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              And the one who seems to have benefited the most on this thread is NLUK
              And that's a problem how? Might get to a huge three referrals in total if I'm lucky.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisFromGreece View Post
                Hey All,

Got an offer for a contract role (my first contract) and apparently it will take some time till the checks are completed, I am given the contract, hand in my notice and then do my notice period (being permie now).

As you may (or may not) understand am both excited and scared.

How often do contracts get cancelled before they even start? Has this happened to you or am I just paranoid about this?

Thinking of signing up with QDOS, so I can form the company as well. Being new to this, I am thinking about the QDOS ASSURED PLUS package but it seems quite expensive (given I am still on my permie salary and won't be starting on the contract for at least a couple of months).

Any thoughts on the above?
                This has happened to me twice in the past - have been offered a role, waiting for the contract and then role has been pulled. Nothing you can do about it but shows the importance to always keep looking for roles until contract is in hand and signed by all parties.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  And that's a problem how? Might get to a huge three referrals in total if I'm lucky.....
                  Well, it is the feeling of not being able to get there early

Comment

@OP - If cashflow is a problem, you could always join IPSE after you receive the first payment into your company. I will provide a fresh link later for registration
                    To be fair, assuming I start my gig in two months time, all the accounting expenses (which I can claim back but I need to pay now) along with the IPSE registration etc is a bit of a stretch for me at the moment.

Was looking more specifically at QDOS since they offer all I will require in their Plus package (including formation, IR35 checks and insurance, plus business insurance). Only think I may need to add is the TLC35.

Comment

Well, it is the feeling of not being able to get there early
                      I know that feeling. MS and TF are strangely absent to say there is a fresh corpse on the plains.....

Comment

Working...
                      X