• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Part time' contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you don't have a contract of employment.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Some people do with their limited.

I don't.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You don't need one but you have a right to one.

A guide to directors’ responsibilities under the Companies Act 2006
        Last edited by m0n1k3r; 5 June 2016, 08:18.

Comment

It was very much my plan that I would work less as a contractor, I am now 3 years in and been in constant back to back gigs - not even 1 day off between.

I can't complain, but if there is work I will take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
            It was very much my plan that I would work less as a contractor, I am now 3 years in and been in constant back to back gigs - not even 1 day off between.

I can't complain, but if there is work I will take it.
            Always ones choice, but certainly not one I would choose for myself.
            I'm presuming you have holidays?
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Leave the thread on here bud, not all of us are

I don't think your suggestion really works in contracting I'm afraid. You have to work double hard - i.e. keep yourself in contract and work on plan B/C in your spare time.

I managed to find a 4 day/week contract for the last 5 months which was a God send as I felt like I was constantly on holiday....
              Now back to reality and hit the bench for the first time in 5 years. I say bench but actually I'm working on several plans, one of which may lead to a contract opportunity. No money coming in at the moment but I have a buffer to keep me going for a short while.

It isn't just a "suggestion" - I've been making it work for the past three years.

So it does work, for some. Was hoping to find some others on this forum.

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              Maybe you should look at it this way - keep working and when you are forced onto the bench then enjoy/make use of your time.

This is a completely different thing from what I was getting at on this thread.
              Last edited by theroyale; 6 June 2016, 13:13.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Always ones choice, but certainly not one I would choose for myself.
                I'm presuming you have holidays?
                Yes, I've had a few weeks where "I haven't provided my services" (gotta be careful how you word stuff, NLUK is around and has us all running scared!)

The point I'm making is, I figured I'd be working about 2/3 of the year, but as it stands I have been flat out and I wouldn't volunteer to sit on the bench, so if there is work going, I'll take it!

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
                  Yes, I've had a few weeks where "I haven't provided my services" (gotta be careful how you word stuff, NLUK is around and has us all running scared!)

The point I'm making is, I figured I'd be working about 2/3 of the year, but as it stands I have been flat out and I wouldn't volunteer to sit on the bench, so if there is work going, I'll take it!
                  Cool...all work and no play....

All depends on circumstances, I have been in the game for many years and enjoy my bench time.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                    I suppose you work through a limited company. Then consider yourself permanently employed by your own company since it was incorporated. The client engagements have been just that - client engagements you have worked on as part of your duties as a permie of your own company, just like any employee of PA Consulting et al would state, and you have worked on various in-house projects in between - new product and service development, helping out with sales & marketing etc.
                    Exactly this.

I aim to contract about 7-8 months a year. I contract for freedom and flexibility to do other things in life, not necessarily a plan B. Being in a non technical role, I don't really have to worry about my skills getting out of date but I was worried one time when I had a long time on the bench, how that might be perceived by clients. During that fallow period I was fortunate to pick up a few odd billable days ad hoc work here and there via a contact. When asked at an interview what I had been doing the last year, I replied I had been sub contracting on assignments in several industries and doing a bit of studying. I didn't need to mention it was only about 2 weeks worth of work I had done.

A friend who recently started contracting stated she was unemployed whilst finding her first gig to which I replied, you're never unemployed - you are a full time company director!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      Cool...all work and no play....

All depends on circumstances, I have been in the game for many years and enjoy my bench time.
                      Approx. 10 years for me and I'm knackered, my body hurts and I reckon I have aged more than others in my age group. Back to back contracts meant very little time off for me, I would reckon on average 10 days a year. I do regret not doing more travelling when I was younger, but there were a number of circumstances that made it difficult.

But I'm almost done now. Just hope I'm not gonna be like one of those cops in the movies who dies on his very last mission one day before retirement

Comment

Working...
                      X