• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Part time' contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Exactly this.

I aim to contract about 7-8 months a year. I contract for freedom and flexibility to do other things in life, not necessarily a plan B. Being in a non technical role, I don't really have to worry about my skills getting out of date but I was worried one time when I had a long time on the bench, how that might be perceived by clients. During that fallow period I was fortunate to pick up a few odd billable days ad hoc work here and there via a contact. When asked at an interview what I had been doing the last year, I replied I had been sub contracting on assignments in several industries and doing a bit of studying. I didn't need to mention it was only about 2 weeks worth of work I had done.

A friend who recently started contracting stated she was unemployed whilst finding her first gig to which I replied, you're never unemployed - you are a full time company director!

Lots of similiarities with my situation.

I do aim to find 1-day a week (for e.g.) work during 'off' periods. Typically this can be passed off as "x months of work", rather than "x months of work but only one day a week".

Of course the larger question here goes abegging: why are agents so stupid about being in work full time. And some clients too. This idea that your skills have fallen out of date is ridiculous: I know plenty of people who have not had a day off in the last ten years whose skills are woefully inadequate. It's about your ability and willingness to pick things up quickly and hit the ground running, not the ability to keep your head down and be a permatractor, that should count.

Comment

Originally posted by theroyale View Post
      Lots of similiarities with my situation.

I do aim to find 1-day a week (for e.g.) work during 'off' periods. Typically this can be passed off as "x months of work", rather than "x months of work but only one day a week".

Of course the larger question here goes abegging: why are agents so stupid about being in work full time. And some clients too. This idea that your skills have fallen out of date is ridiculous: I know plenty of people who have not had a day off in the last ten years whose skills are woefully inadequate. It's about your ability and willingness to pick things up quickly and hit the ground running, not the ability to keep your head down and be a permatractor, that should count.
      I'm part time by choice - well have been the past 2 years. Taken a few 4-6 monthe breaks. I've found that being targeted with applications and tailoring the CV/cover note is usually enough to get a call back. Unfortunately short contracts and gaps are a red flag that will often get the application binned at the first hurdle but it's not a complete show stopper.

When asked about short contracts and gaps I just explain that it's a lifestyle choice and one of the main reasons I contract. Any further explanation than that really shouldn't be necessary. I take regular sabbaticals to get off the hamster wheel and smell the roses. This is quite a good article you can refer people to if they don't get it:

Top five regrets of the dying | Life and style | The Guardian

I can see how short gigs and gaps can be percieved as a risk though. Applying for short gigs with targeted CV is a good way round, so far...

That being said my Plan B requires amounting a decent pile of dosh so no more (voluntary) sabbaticals for me for a while. A 3-4 day/week gig would be ideal though
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
        I'm part time by choice - well have been the past 2 years. Taken a few 4-6 monthe breaks. I've found that being targeted with applications and tailoring the CV/cover note is usually enough to get a call back. Unfortunately short contracts and gaps are a red flag that will often get the application binned at the first hurdle but it's not a complete show stoppfer.

When asked about short contracts and gaps I just explain that it's a lifestyle choice and one of the main reasons I contract. Any further explanation than that really shouldn't be necessary. I take regular sabbaticals to get off the hamster wheel and smell the roses. This is quite a good article you can refer people to if they don't get it:

Top five regrets of the dying | Life and style | The Guardian

I can see how short gigs and gaps can be percieved as a risk though. Applying for short gigs with targeted CV is a good way round, so far...

That being said my Plan B requires amounting a decent pile of dosh so no more (voluntary) sabbaticals for me for a while. A 3-4 day/week gig would be ideal though
        Very good post. Have been out since Feb and have really enjoyed it, did 3.5 years back to back, so really needed the break, 2 months travel helped too

Just about to start looking again, was just coming close to something very good, direct through a friend, but has had budget pulled. To compound matters the software Co offered them 2 weeks free consultancy
        Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 20 June 2016, 12:46.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

are you part time guys umbrella or Ltd ? I am shortly about to go down the same route due to a change in home life so just wondering which is the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
            are you part time guys umbrella or Ltd ? I am shortly about to go down the same route due to a change in home life so just wondering which is the best option.
            Depends.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
              Limited here..

Comment

I've been trying to find a part-time e.g. 2/3 days a week role for months with no joy, they just don't seem to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by NonnyMouse View Post
                  I've been trying to find a part-time e.g. 2/3 days a week role for months with no joy, they just don't seem to exist.
                  Not the safest conclusion I've ever seen lol.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NonnyMouse View Post
                    I often look for 1-3 days/week roles too (without too much luck). DBA/Support roles seem more common. Dev not so much.

Comment

Just back in Contracting after putting myself on the bench in April, that last Gig for 11 months was about to make me ill, I'm to old and long in the tooth for 13 hrs. days (inclusive of commute) Week 4 of being in the NHS, nice and local. Had to come back via Ltd Co, the quote my last umbrella company gave me would have just meant the job was not viable after mucho biggo stoppages, so binned that idea. (Umbrellas must have taken a big hit, since the loss of T&S in April. ) 6 months contract so that will do for now. Covering the gap in my CV of 16yrs ? I don't bother now, just tell them I needed a break thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X