• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I have something starting next month, which would mean I have been out for two months (assuming it happens of course) which isn't the end of the world and in days gone by with more money behind me would have been a nice break.

Again views are varying from the market being hot through to worst market ever, which would suggest things are a bit patchy. Certainly from a test perspective I get encouraged when developers start pointing out the market is picking up because it usually means testing is a few weeks behind.

I am beginning to get my head round the fact it looks like you are never going to get a contract up until the point you get a new contract. The days when you had a pyramid of applying for adverts, which lead to some phone conversations with agents which followed by some interviews until you got an offer seem long gone and replaced with a contact ringing you out the blue and offering something.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      Again views are varying from the market being hot through to worst market ever, which would suggest things are a bit patchy..
      Certainly looking patchy. Seeing some of the places which used a lot of contractors in the past (100+), then got rid or converted them to permie, are starting to offer outside IR35 roles for the first time which is encouraging.

Comment

MARKET is BOOMING!

can be found on totaljobs if interested.

Python Developer - 12 Month Contract - £100 - £150 Per Day
        AI start-up who are looking for a Python Developer to come onboard for a 12 month contract role.
        They focus heavily on AI, Machine Learning and emerging technologies

Skillset:
        • Experience with Python/Django
        • Some experience with frontend frameworks (ideally React)
        • Cloud experience (AWS, GCP, Microsoft Azure)
        • Containerized applications Kubernetes and Docker
        • Excellent communication skills
        This role will be fully remote
        Python Developer - 12 months - £100-£120 per day
        This role can't possibly exist.

It's most likely a coordinated campaign by the agencies to drive rates down or to destroy the contracting market.

On another note, the agent has to eat as well and it's not cheap to take pictures of your a** in fancy locations.
        For those interested you can find the agent's name on totaljobs with the advert and from that instagram acc is public information.
        Last edited by GigiBronz; 22 April 2021, 15:40.

Comment

I am seeing a lot of contracts around the country ( will hotel it if need be ) but can't get hold of the agents. How on earth do you actually get hold of them ?

Comment

I just got a contract, inside IR35 paying about £300pd after all taxes and NI is paid.

pretty happy

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
              I am seeing a lot of contracts around the country ( will hotel it if need be ) but can't get hold of the agents. How on earth do you actually get hold of them ?
              Usually by the short and curlies, and don't go until the first invoice is paid. Even then I keep hold, just not as tight, until renewal time. I trust very few of them, some can be OK though, but they need to prove themselves first.

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
                Email them with your CV and ring them? If they don't answer leave them a voice mail about the details and you've mailed your CV. If they are interested they'll call you back. If they aren't you won't hear a dickie bird. Rinse and repeat.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had more contact with headhunters and agents in the last 2-3 weeks than for a good few years. Had initial chats about some perm IT Director/CIO roles and an outside IR35 9 month digital strategy gig on a very good day rate.

There is a lot of activity brewing in medium size companies driven by tons of cheap money in M&A and private equity buying cheap assets in the UK. As a result, there are a lot of perm senior IT leadership roles materialising which suggests there is going to be a significant increase in IT investment starting in the second half of this year.

The market is still challenging for many but there is hope.

On a related note, if you're experienced in IT carve outs, you'd be making thousands a day right now. I've had three calls about such opportunities recently - unfortunately I didn't have the right level of experience for any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Email them with your CV and ring them? If they don't answer leave them a voice mail about the details and you've mailed your CV. If they are interested they'll call you back. If they aren't you won't hear a dickie bird. Rinse and repeat.
                    Thank you. Why did I not think of the email approach!
                    I also found this : https://rocketreach.co/pricing - Type in any agent's name and his/her email and Tel no are shown. There are limits and it costs an eye-watering monthly fee.

Comment

why is this thread so quiet

Comment

Working...
                      X