• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Where do contractors go to die?

I mean, to end their careers? And how?
    Working for Vodaphone, Reading for £700pd apparently.

I jest of course, come help me warm this bench Chimp and be prepared to share your lunchtime crisps. We are not done yet just 'taking a sabbatical' which involves posting to this self harm group at least once a week and must include a back-handed semi-insult directed at NLUK.

Comment

once a week, you slacker,

i forgive if you check this thread once a day, as i dont get email notifications

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
        Chipmaster I have thought about this and I am not joking when I say this is what I plan to do

I am going to basically retire and do property renovations and buying and selling in auctions and do DIY around the properties that I have and self manage them

My specific circumstances means that working PAYE will result is a massive tax bill so not worth it - Instead of paying builders to lay floors paint rooms change radiators and general DIY stuff I dll do that myself

Not a full time job but does keep me busy and I ll find a new hobby or two including gardening / cycling / cars whatever takes your fancy really

PAYE when you have some property income is just going to kill the motivation especially after outside IR35 contractor

How about coming up with a new disguised loan scheme that actually works - Or from todays guardian this which I think is nuts but people are buying !!

How first-time buyers are working together to get their deposits | First-time buyers | The Guardian

And finally didnt cojoak post some stuff on Plan Z wioth amazon / ebay arbitrage
        Sorry for your loss

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I need some direction -

In a few weeks' time, I'm going to be out of work for the first time in 24 years, and the first time out of contract since 2004. There are no contracts for my dead skills, and truthfully I'm happy applying for perm jobs, but no one is biting, not even the agents.

I'm not crying about it. I've been very fortunate thus far. But it's a steep step down from my heady contract rates into the hopeless abyss of nothingness.

I can't retire in my 40s. And I just don't know what to do next.
          Have you tried this?

Skills assessment | National Careers Service

I've heard it's flawless.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            Have you tried this?

Skills assessment | National Careers Service

I've heard it's flawless.
            KUATB

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...u-retrain.html

Comment

I need some direction -

In a few weeks' time, I'm going to be out of work for the first time in 24 years, and the first time out of contract since 2004. There are no contracts for my dead skills, and truthfully I'm happy applying for perm jobs, but no one is biting, not even the agents.

I'm not crying about it. I've been very fortunate thus far. But it's a steep step down from my heady contract rates into the hopeless abyss of nothingness.

I can't retire in my 40s. And I just don't know what to do next.
              What's your dead skill? If demand is completely dead, is this a sudden occurrence or could you have predicted it a while back? If you've been contracting without a break since 2004 you must have a good warchest so maybe you can consider semi-retirement? Two friends of mine made a boatload of money contracting in investment banking in the 90s and early 2000s and semi-retired before 40. They bought a huge plot of land in a remote part of Spain and built several properties on it which they rent as holiday lets. They have a simple life but sounds quite idyllic. You could just work part time maybe - it all depends on your financial needs really. My friends don't have kids which obviously made a big difference financially.

Comment

Our collective problem is if it was just Covid-19 to contend with we could reasonably assume the market will bounce back at some point int he future. If it was just IR35 changes we could start to decide individually if we had a future in contracting.

Problem is with both happening at once it is difficult to draw any long term conclusions. The only slight (and largely academic as I am still on the bench since May) plus side from my perspective is there is still a high percentage of contracts being advertised as outside IR35.

Comment

State of the Market

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  Our collective problem is if it was just Covid-19 to contend with we could reasonably assume the market will bounce back at some point int he future. If it was just IR35 changes we could start to decide individually if we had a future in contracting.

Problem is with both happening at once it is difficult to draw any long term conclusions. The only slight (and largely academic as I am still on the bench since May) plus side from my perspective is there is still a high percentage of contracts being advertised as outside IR35.
                  And big co’s now not needing Jonny local expensive contractor that he thought he always needed on site 9-5pm Min to Friday They can source cheaper remote folk

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    And big co’s now not needing Jonny local expensive contractor that he thought he always needed on site 9-5pm Min to Friday They can source cheaper remote folk

Couldn't they have always done that?

I am sure some of the larger places will go that route but the mid sized outfits either outsourced or went with contractors (or a combination of both) ages ago. Also remember this not going to office thing won't go on for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                      Couldn't they have always done that?

I am sure some of the larger places will go that route but the mid sized outfits either outsourced or went with contractors (or a combination of both) ages ago. Also remember this not going to office thing won't go on for ever.
                      No no no no no

You had to be in the London office 100% of my clients over past 20 years mom to Friday

Me and all entire delivery teams as perceived as pulling a fast one working from home

It will go on forever our company has cancelled its building lease so WFH forever like many others

Comment

Working...
                      X