• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from eTeam today (another bob shell):
    http://www.jobserve.com/IVvXT

For the princely sum of £200 p.day..

Technical Solutions Architect
    Location: London, Newbury, Birmingham, Manchester, and Glasgow (wtf?)

JD is a laundry list, but is basically accountable for a £ multi-million project, has to own the SOW, plan the work, and oversee/manage the teams to deliver it.

Also needs:
    • SC cleared
    • TOGAF
    • PRINCE2
    • ITIL
    • Degree in Engineering or Science

Makes me want to jack this lark in and become a plumber or sparky.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
      Very good analogy
      The one main difference is UDP at least works with real packets, recruitment agents/(low lives) work with fake jobs.

I just cannot believe they do this at the time of this dire situation knowingly that they are messing up with (real) peoples' lives. Hence they are low life.

I really wish they go through some real pain in their lives too for all this.
      There are very good recruiters and very bad ones.

I know some recruitment firms that are currently making 30-40% of their staff redundant so you can be sure plenty of agents, especially the younger ones, are feeling the pain.

Comment

about to be offered a short-term (beginning of Jan) bit of work on payroll. Gut is saying dont do it but reading this thread the last few days it's making me think I should be lucky to even have that in the pipeline!

Comment

Originally posted by ResistanceFighter View Post
          about to be offered a short-term (beginning of Jan) bit of work on payroll. Gut is saying dont do it but reading this thread the last few days it's making me think I should be lucky to even have that in the pipeline!
          A lot can change between now and January (heck a lot can change overnight when a competitor does something stupid).
          Last edited by eek; 11 September 2020, 11:21.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            There are very good recruiters and very bad ones.

I know some recruitment firms that are currently making 30-40% of their staff redundant so you can be sure plenty of agents, especially the younger ones, are feeling the pain.
            For most agents its not a career. Turnover is extremely high, majority of recruiters do it as another job they eventually quit or get fired from and move onto the next random sales/admin job with no real thought towards their career.

The career recruiters who have been doing it for a while and will be doing it forever can be decent people who do a good job just happens to be that we don't run into them quite as often because there aren't as many of them, these ones should all be able to hold onto their jobs though.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              from eTeam today (another bob shell):
              http://www.jobserve.com/IVvXT

For the princely sum of £200 p.day..

Technical Solutions Architect
              Location: London, Newbury, Birmingham, Manchester, and Glasgow (wtf?)

JD is a laundry list, but is basically accountable for a £ multi-million project, has to own the SOW, plan the work, and oversee/manage the teams to deliver it.

Also needs:
              • SC cleared
              • TOGAF
              • PRINCE2
              • ITIL
              • Degree in Engineering or Science

Makes me want to jack this lark in and become a plumber or sparky.
              Darren will do it in Newbury if the parking works out.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                For most agents its not a career. Turnover is extremely high, majority of recruiters do it as another job they eventually quit or get fired from and move onto the next random sales/admin job with no real thought towards their career.

The career recruiters who have been doing it for a while and will be doing it forever can be decent people who do a good job just happens to be that we don't run into them quite as often because there aren't as many of them, these ones should all be able to hold onto their jobs though.
                Yes, that is generally true and with such low barriers to entry (think how many new-ish agents used to work in retail, a pub, estate agent, gym etc) you can see why so many fail to make a career out of it.

The more experienced ones are those trusted with more client interaction. The junior ones get the tedious jobs like sifting through zillions of CVs. I remember one of my very first interactions with a recruiter when I started contracting who seemed unable to really answer anything other than very basic questions. They then said anything 'complicated' gets handled by the agent who was actually managing the assignment.

Moral of the story - always try and develop a relationship with the organ grinder, not the monkey...

Comment

Well done and good luck.

Is there anything you can do to get it started early on, at all. I worry that In the meantime that is few months, some bugger might quote a tenner and take it away from you.
                  Come January, I expect the situation to be even more worse, since I hear from many (including from a contact of mine, who himself is a permie, who is trying to get me a perm position ) that by end of October or early November there are going to be massive numbers of permie staff who are going to be sacked due to slow or stopped projects and the govt funded furlough coming to an end, so companies won’t have cash to pay the permies...,so they will be let go.

They will also be hitting the contract or temp market by end of next month or so. It’s going to be just chaos.

Speak to your contact and see if there is any chance of moving it to earlier on in some capacity? (without breaking the Jan possibility as well of course)
                  Last edited by CosmicWave; 11 September 2020, 11:37.

Comment

State of the Market

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
                    Well done and good luck.

Is there anything you can do to get it started early on, at all. I worry that In the meantime that is few months, some bugger might quote a tenner and take it away from you.
                    Come January, I expect the situation to be even more worse, since I hear from many (including from a contact of mine, who himself is a permie, who is trying to get me a perm position ) that by end of October or early November there are going to be massive numbers of permie staff who are going to be sacked due to slow or stopped projects and the govt funded furlough coming to an end, so companies won’t have cash to pay the permies...,so they will be let go.

They will also be hitting the contract or temp market by end of next month or so. It’s going to be just chaos.

Speak to your contact and see if there is any chance of moving it to earlier on in some capacity? (without breaking the Jan possibility as well of course)
                    Apologies I don’t think I made original post clear - it’s to start from now and end in Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Apologies I don’t think I made original post clear - it’s to start from now and end in Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                      Ah cool. I could not read it that way.

Good one, that you sorted it out to start now, since from next month its not looking good.

Comment

Working...
                      X