• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    I'm aware of all that, was being facetious. Given it's deemed a disability there are legal protections in the workplace, even for contractors.
    I was complaining to someone close(works in hr) that a previous permi role had very few protections(thread in general) with unpaid layoff and no sick days during probation. And she bluntly said... just play the discrimination card if they get tough on it.
    Got me thinking... is this society so messed up that you have to take advantage of the current trends (we love diversity and social inclosure and all that nonsense, appearantly it is not true and we are all wage slaves. And society has always had an inherented bias) but this is what you have to do if you want to be treated fair.
    Felt sick and somehow did not want to understand it...

So just play the discrimination card or race card or just subtily put it out during interview. Every organisation loves that tulip and while most of the population is oppressed in poverty we’ll push you to the top.
    Fill ya boots!
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 11 August 2020, 22:17.

Comment

gonna upload to cv jobs now (again)and report back to my fam

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        I was complaining to someone close(works in hr) that a previous permi role had very few protections(thread in general) with unpaid layoff and no sick days during probation. And she bluntly said... just play the discrimination card if they get tough on it.
        Got me thinking... is this society so messed up that you have to take advantage of the current trends (we love diversity and social inclosure and all that nonsense, appearantly it is not true and we are all wage slaves. And society has always had an inherented bias) but this is what you have to do if you want to be treated fair.
        Felt sick and somehow did not want to understand it...

So just play the discrimination card or race card or just subtily put it out during interview. Every organisation loves that tulip and while most of the population is oppressed in poverty we’ll push you to the top.
        Fill ya boots!
        What are you going on about? Firstly, diversity isn't 'tulip', there is lots of research that shows firms with greater diversity, especially at senior levels, outperform firms with low diversity.

If you look at many professions, there is very little diversity at the top and progress has been very slow in changing this so there's no evidence that lots of people are playing the discrimination or race card as you put it and somehow getting to the top of the tree.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

Fill ya boots!
          On the contrary minorities have to work twice as hard as whites else they are the first to be chucked out of job. its common knowledge that you get lot more response to your CV if it is a common British name on it instead of ethnic sounding name.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            What are you going on about? Firstly, diversity isn't 'tulip', there is lots of research that shows firms with greater diversity, especially at senior levels, outperform firms with low diversity.

If you look at many professions, there is very little diversity at the top and progress has been very slow in changing this so there's no evidence that lots of people are playing the discrimination or race card as you put it and somehow getting to the top of the tree.
            Of course there is no evidence. But I would pressume that many of the big companies would be eager to get minorities on. Even if sometimes they have to lower the bar slightly.

In some other companies you’d have to work harder if you are a minority. So probably all of the above is true.

What I was implying in the above post is that if you get sacked without compensation, even though your contract does not entitle you to much. You can claim unfair dismissal on racial bias etc... and the company would be fairly quick to settle. Or at least what I have been told.

Comment

Clients are definitely piss taking - and agencies happy to go along with it... example from LinkedIn.

Job Title - Online Applications Developer
              Location - Nantgarw (Remote working)
              Salary - £19.87 per hour (PAYE)

XYZ are delighted to be working with a leading public sector organisation, who are currently searching for an experienced Online Applications Developer for an initial 3 month contract. You will be a key asset in designing and deploying a national platform comprising of key services for NHS Wales with an interest in delivering applications via cloud and in building and deploying microservices.

The role will require in depth knowledge and experience of web technologies including Laravel/PHP (Object orientated), MySQL, JavaScript/ jQuery and AJAX. Experience of working with MVC design patterns. Knowledge of ReactJS or VueJS and Node would be desirable.

If this sounds like something that is of interest to you or you know someone that might be a good fit, please get in touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                On the contrary minorities have to work twice as hard as whites else they are the first to be chucked out of job. its common knowledge that you get lot more response to your CV if it is a common British name on it instead of ethnic sounding name.
                Twice as hard is hyperbole.

Is it not possible that whites are overrepresented in senior management because of the culture of network oriented hiring at that level and historic wealth and ethnic distributions (historically white people have held all the wealth and had even greater percentages of people).

Do you really think people are actively working to keep minorities down?

Does a minority really fair worse than a poor white British person with no access to family wealth and no network or access to connected people?

Not saying it isn't a problem... It is a huge issue but one of the ways those in power are able to retain it is because they're able to get poor minorities fighting with poor white people instead of working towards dismantling the systems that keep both of those groups oppressed.

Comment

Clients are definitely piss taking - and agencies happy to go along with it... example from LinkedIn.

XYZ are delighted to be working with a leading public sector organisation, who are currently searching for an experienced Online Applications Developer for an initial 3 month contract. You will be a key asset in designing and deploying a national platform comprising of key services for NHS Wales with an interest in delivering applications via cloud and in building and deploying microservices.

The role will require in depth knowledge and experience of web technologies including Laravel/PHP (Object orientated), MySQL, JavaScript/ jQuery and AJAX. Experience of working with MVC design patterns. Knowledge of ReactJS or VueJS and Node would be desirable.

If this sounds like something that is of interest to you or you know someone that might be a good fit, please get in touch.
                  Those sort of jobs have always existed with the NHS because unless you are a manager or a doctor the viewpoint is that you don't deserve to be paid well
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    Au Contraire ... Au Contraire. I am from a minority background (not French either) and don't have a British name. But I get a lot of response.

Probably the hiring managers assumed that I would be submissive and work for 10-15 hours a day but charge only for 8 hours.

Poor souls! They don't know what's about to hit them!

I have repeatedly seen that it is the skillset, market demand, experience and rate determines the response rate.

Comment

There could be a hidden agenda behind this advt.

Now that they have advertised and couldn't find a suitable developer (I'm certain they can't find one for this rate), their case for outsourcing got easier.

It's funny how they talk about cloud delivery but haven't mentioned a single word on specific cloud platform.

On the numbers side, this rate works out to approximately

1,948.38 (INR) * 8 * 22 *12 = 4114978.56 (41 lacs). The annual salary of a fresher starts at around 3-5 lacs, 5-8 years experienced will get around 10-12 lacs.
                      Last edited by BigDataPro; 12 August 2020, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                      X