• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my latest stay on the bench begins today. Surprised to actually find a couple of vaguely suitable contracts to apply for.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      So my latest stay on the bench begins today. Surprised to actually find a couple of vaguely suitable contracts to apply for.
      Good luck! if your experience is like mine, you'll apply for all those contracts and get calls from the agents who will be really excited to talk to you. Then you will hear nothing. Then you will see the same contracts posted again, and again. Then you will message the agents who will tell you that the role has been put on hold for the time being, then you'll see the same role posted again the next day....

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        Good luck! if your experience is like mine, you'll apply for all those contracts and get calls from the agents who will be really excited to talk to you. Then you will hear nothing. Then you will see the same contracts posted again, and again. Then you will message the agents who will tell you that the role has been put on hold for the time being, then you'll see the same role posted again the next day....
        don't forget the classics:

- same role posted 10 times with different agencies (which was filled internally anyway)
        - internal HR also posting the role therefore revealing the agency cut
        - roles linking to dodgy jobs boards which harvest your data and sell it to North Korea for human transplant purposes

Comment

My roll call of tame agents resembled the person who counted planes back in after a second world war bombing raid.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
            These days I see a lot of clients advertising directly on LinkedIn. Keep visiting as frequently as possible and try to be the first few to apply. Because they receive 100's of CVs within few minutes, clients mark the role as "No longer accepting application" pretty quickly.

That's exactly how I got mine. In my case it was marked as such within 10 minutes. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
              These days I see a lot of clients advertising directly on LinkedIn. Keep visiting as frequently as possible and try to be the first few to apply. Because they receive 100's of CVs within few minutes, clients mark the role as "No longer accepting application" pretty quickly.

That's exactly how I got mine. In my case it was marked as such within 10 minutes. Hope this helps!
              IMO linkedin really ought to sort their jobs section. It's utter crap. Many of them are just links to links to links. I remember one gig took me through three forwarding steps, two portals trying to get me to register and finally when I did it took me to the Astrazeneca jobs page where the gig was actually advertised and it closed months ago.

Could be much much better.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got "hired" in mid-March but still await a start date. I blasted the agent when they called yesterday. Maybe it was a little unfair but I purposefully moved into acommodation with good working from home potential and have been twiddling my thumbs ever since.

I did get an email earlier about a contract gig. It's a long way from home but the tech stack is quite niche.

Meanwhile I'm honing my Modern Warfare skillz.

Onwards and upwards.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                  My roll call of tame agents resembled the person who counted planes back in after a second world war bombing raid.
                  Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    IMO linkedin really ought to sort their jobs section. It's utter crap. Many of them are just links to links to links. I remember one gig took me through three forwarding steps, two portals trying to get me to register and finally when I did it took me to the Astrazeneca jobs page where the gig was actually advertised and it closed months ago.

Linkedin is a total disaster for gigs/jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Sounds like AZ has highly effective website personalisation to filter out to trash before they apply.

Comment

Working...
                      X