• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Same, the masses are starting the migration. Fill ya boots.
    suity says no....
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
      Not surprised, there's tons of cloud architect roles on the job boards as well. Lots of data engineer roles as well.
      Good job I'm a Data Engineer then, though still not leaving Permieville. Always been tempted, but not in this market. Anyway it's all SQL.
      Last edited by HairyRoadie; 10 January 2020, 12:23. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by HairyRoadie View Post
        Good job I'm a Data Engineer then, though still not leaving Permieville. Always been tempted, but not in this market. Anyway it's all SQL.
        I love job titles. I remember when people who wrote SQL were called SQL developers. Now people who write spreadsheets are Data Scientist.

My uncle was a Highway hygienist.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          I love job titles. I remember when people who wrote SQL were called SQL developers. Now people who write spreadsheets are Data Scientist.

My uncle was a Highway hygienist.
          You probably could do Data Science with spreadsheets (basic analysis). But from real data scientist, I would expect at least MSc, preferable PhD and he will use R + Python.
          As you need statistics, ML and other related fields.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
            You probably could do Data Science with spreadsheets (basic analysis). But from real data scientist, I would expect at least MSc, preferable PhD and he will use R + Python.
            Excited CIO/CDO:

"Data is the new oil! We have so much data but we're not using it! "
            "We must become data scientists and find new value"
            "We'll become a disruptive data driven business, miles ahead of our competitors"
            "We can monetize our customer data and we'll be rich!"

A data science team, a £multi-million supercomputer, and 12 months later....

The result (spurious correlations)

Comment

Proving that job titles mean very little.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Excited CIO/CDO:

"Data is the new oil! We have so much data but we're not using it! "
                "We must become data scientists and find new value"
                "We'll become a disruptive data driven business, miles ahead of our competitors"
                "We can monetize our customer data and we'll be rich!"

A data science team, a £multi-million supercomputer, and 12 months later....

The result (spurious correlations)
                That as any data scientist would tell you - correlation does not imply causation.
                And data science is not about correlation, which is important but only as the first step in any analysis.
                Just take a look at how many real data scientist Amazon and Google have.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Proving that job titles mean very little.
                  But that would the same for any job. As exampe if you write/update XML files and call yourself backend developer

Comment

Yes but scrum teams don’t want old egg head types with 20 years experience

They want a 22 year old that can wear shorts to work and has a skateboard

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Not sure I agree with the arguement that these job titles are interchangeable, and I'm right in it because I can apply for SQL dev jobs but can't really go for data engineer roles. I think that a SQL developer is a guy who writes SQL , and possibly ETL like SSIS for either transactional databases or data warehouses. This could be stored procedures with complicated logic and creating schemas like data warehouses.

I think that a data engineer is all about big data and the cloud, and writing ETL pipelines using Python or Java where the logic lives in AWS or Azure. No stored procedures, no on premises SQL Servers. Using CI/CD to iteratively release the pipelines. However, their thing mostly ends once the data is in the database.

Data Scientists look at the data and analyze it, maybe using python to analyze it for use in machine learning or AI. They wouldn't be responsible for ingesting the data and might tell the data engineer where he should put it.

At least that's the way it was for my latest client. I was a SQL developer and before I knew it, they wanted me to be a data engineer and use Java to write a manual version of Stitch.

Comment

Working...
                      X