• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by globalBA View Post
    So that contract that I had "secured" in Manchester but they wanted me to wait 2 weeks before starting....well its fallen through.

The agency (Pontoons) have stated that the client will not overlook that my surname is spelt slightly different on my passport by one character. Its never been an issue before and i have been contracting for a long time and also have contracted through the agency before as well.

personally i think the roll has lost funding.
    I would get in touch with the client as well just in case. If you really want the role. There could be another candidate that might not have done as well as you but the agent knows he can get him in, in the absence of an alternative. If that route gets the agent even 5% more, he’ll drop you in a hart beat, not loosing a second of sleep as well. If you do not have the details of the client, try HR and see if you can reach the hiring manager that way.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
      Coming up to 2 months on the bench and wondering if I'll eventually lose all my war chest, default on my mortgage and end up in the tulipter.

It's an awfully bipolar way of life isn't it? Some days you'll get 4 phone calls and feel on top of the world, times you're waiting weeks for an interview where you get turned down.
      I have a friend who is entering his 14th month of bench time, another has hit 9 both had no breaks in the last 15 years - both good guys

I’m on my 1st month, I’ve 2 weeks holiday in Greece next week, 4 weeks in turkey after that and considering, staying in the sun until March

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Funny you should say that. I've just started walking dogs (missus won't let us have a dog) at the local animal sanctuary to give me some routine and time out and it's bloody great!! I'm absolutely awful on the bench, no routine, motivation but the dog walking is the best thing I've done in a very long time. Now I've something to look forward to and have to do when I get back and feel proper invigorated when I get home and fired in to the hunting. Definitely recommend it.
        I’ve tried dogging also (not sure if correct term) in London you can get paid to walk people’s dogs for £14 (per dog) an hour !! Another friend makes £600 to £1k just doing this !!!

Comment

So that contract that I had "secured" in Manchester but they wanted me to wait 2 weeks before starting....well its fallen through.

The agency (Pontoons) have stated that the client will not overlook that my surname is spelt slightly different on my passport by one character. Its never been an issue before and i have been contracting for a long time and also have contracted through the agency before as well.

personally i think the roll has lost funding.
          Nay, pontoon are used to dealing with banks (been via them several times), this is a super serious issue for them, this would be a red flag

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            I would get in touch with the client as well just in case. If you really want the role. There could be another candidate that might not have done as well as you but the agent knows he can get him in, in the absence of an alternative. If that route gets the agent even 5% more, he’ll drop you in a hart beat, not loosing a second of sleep as well. If you do not have the details of the client, try HR and see if you can reach the hiring manager that way.
            That could be a good idea. Is it unprofessional to do? I have worked with the client for 2 years previously under a different team so I share some connections with the hiring manager on linkedin.

I also have two glowing recommendations from colleagues on my linkedin from my time working with this client. I could try and contact him via linkedin.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Nay, pontoon are used to dealing with banks (been via them several times), this is a super serious issue for them, this would be a red flag

But I have worked through the agency previously and it's not been an issue. At the time client over looked it as it wasn't an issue for them.

The 4th character on my surname on my passport is spelt with and 'a' where as I spell it with an 'o' on everything else.

Comment

But I have worked through the agency previously and it's not been an issue. At the time client over looked it as it wasn't an issue for them.

The 4th character on my surname on my passport is spelt with and 'a' where as I spell it with an 'o' on everything else.
                To be fair I do need to change it and it has now pushed me make the change which I have submitted. Seems to be a very easy change for the passport office to make so that doesn't seem to be an issue. They will issue me with a new passport with the small change in spelling.

Comment

To be fair I do need to change it and it has now pushed me make the change which I have submitted. Seems to be a very easy change for the passport office to make so that doesn't seem to be an issue. They will issue me with a new passport with the small change in spelling.
                  If you're serious about wanting that contract vacancy, see if you can go down to the passport office and have it changed while you wait, then you can get back in touch with the agency/client pronto before the position is filled. Otherwise make sure they and any contacts you have at the client are aware of the situation and how soon it is likely to be resolved so they can smooth things over with HR or whoever is ticking the compliance boxes at the client.

Compliance checks mean that such anomalies are not likely to be overlooked and maybe you were lucky last time that someone wasn't doing their job properly in the vetting process and maybe that person was moved on so the company wasn't caught in breach of the very strict rules.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

State of the Market

The craziest compliance I’ve witnessed is a chap of 55 (with 30 years exp) marched off site for failing to provide his high school results (despite him having a degree and a MBA) high school results were Latin and geography [emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      I have a friend who is entering his 14th month of bench time, another has hit 9 both had no breaks in the last 15 years - both good guys
                      15 years with no breaks? Unless they're ridiculously bad with money, I'm sure contracting for that long will have given them enough money to get a few properties and have some decent rental income. I wouldn't be worried for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X