• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingtut View Post
    What market are you all in if you don’t mind me asking?, I’m in architecture and although there are rolls out there, responses are pretty much nonexistent..
    Grand Designs?

Comment

Originally posted by kingtut View Post
      What market are you all in if you don’t mind me asking?, I’m in architecture and although there are rolls out there, responses are pretty much nonexistent..
      QA/Test in SE England. Problem is that when applications get into the hundreds it becomes a lottery and agents are only going to put people forward who match 100% of the requirements.

Comment

REF: as bad as I have seen it. Reaching 08-09 levels

--- SussexSeagull Post: 2039
        --- Probably as bad as I have seen it. Reaching 08-09 levels.

Yes, I confirm that too. Exactly how it was those days

Comment

Called up my old boss this morning (large billion £ company in Canary Wharf)

Gizza job! I can do that!

He told me he has not hired a contractor this year due to brexit, but gets at least 2 boozy lunches/dinners from desperate agents each week, says he has put on 10kg in last 6 months !!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Last monday I had a lot of calls for a change, and put forward for 3 roles over the course of the week. Haven't heard back yet.
            Today is just

Comment

Declined for a role because the Agile robot they brought along to the interview didn't think I had enough technical knowledge about the things I've been doing on a technical level for the last 15 years. FFS.

Interviews suck. Especially panel interviews. Give me a 1 on 1 and actually talk about the project and I'm usually a lot better.
              Last edited by PerfectStorm; 17 September 2019, 09:23.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Declined a role because the Agile robot they brought along to the interview didn't think I had enough technical knowledge about the things I've been doing on a technical level for the last 15 years. FFS.

Interviews suck. Especially panel interviews. Give me a 1 on 1 and actually talk about the project and I'm usually a lot better.
                Why wouldn't want to give it a try? If you didn't have the technical knowledge, it would be a great experience to add the extra knowledge to your CV...no?? I personally prefer contracts that would offer me experience in a new area, how else would you develop as a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                  Why wouldn't want to give it a try? If you didn't have the technical knowledge, it would be a great experience to add the extra knowledge to your CV...no?? I personally prefer contracts that would offer me experience in a new area, how else would you develop as a contractor?
                  Sorry, I meant that they declined me because they perceived I didn't have it
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Sorry, I meant that they declined me because they perceived I didn't have it
                    Oh sorry, thought you declined it... its OK when the market is tough, usually its a matter of luck, and its like a very think line between candidate, or most likely someone somebody already knows that would get the role.... my only advice is invest in new training for the latest shiny thing?? I am not sure what your specialty, but try to look into training ? Whatever anyone think, in the past when the market is tough, I did some certification ( things which were very desired in the market) but the kind of training you can finish in an intensive few weeks training, and I know it helped me secure roles.

Comment

Declined for a role because the Agile robot they brought along to the interview didn't think I had enough technical knowledge about the things I've been doing on a technical level for the last 15 years. FFS.

I hate that. So frustrating. I once had a guy try & ask me some functional questions at an interview and he clearly had no clue what he was talking about. I asked him to elaborate/explain further what he meant for one of then and he admitted he wasn't sure as he'd taken the questions out of a book. Absolute tosspot. Needless to say I didn't get it
                      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                      X