• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or get into training those grads for a pretty penny

Comment

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
      Hummmm, we are over simplifying again.

I have been involved in Programmes before where I was a contractor taking over the mess made by the previous contractor... very easy to make out permie's are bad and contractors are good, but its not quite like that.

I have met some incredible contractors and permies, plus a bad bunch of both too. We all have I'm sure.

But yes, on the subject of contractors trying to become permies there is a feeling that;

a) they always want too much money and want to match their salary to day rates
      b) they will go back to contracting if a "juicy" contract comes up

We don't help ourselves by always, ALWAYS falling into a) above, as that makes the employer automatically think of b) coming soon thereafter even if they hire the person.

Please try to remember that there are MANY advantages to permiedom, but earning a higher or matching salary to your contracting days is not one of them. If it happens, great well done you, but it is rarely the case.

I am a recent convert back to permie (so should probably change my name to PermMCConPerm!) and can tell you that no, I did not get a salary that matched my near £1k a day rate, but I am still very happy with what we agreed as an overall package (when you include ALL my new benefits, pension, bonus potential, holiday, security, work environment etc).

But there's no denying it guys, the 40% and 45% tax bands do hurt.

Anyway, this thread is about "state of the market". I can tell you that we get 100s of applicants per role... but it is banking and the rates are good.
      I had a very open chat with an interviewer when I did go for a permanent position. He said he had to ask me as a contractor why he should consider me over a permie applicant.

As part of the conversation I dropped in that he could interview a permie applicant but the fact was, a permie could leave at any time if a, the job didnt meet the applicant's expectations and b, if they saw another job offering better T&Cs including pay.

Obviously, that wasnt my whole answer to the question but he agreed with me and said he'd not considered that angle before.

Your other points are bang on though. Ive worked with some contractors whose attitude and 'skills' are sadly lacking and give a very bad impression. The old addage that they'll get found out doesnt always works because as we all know, even some tulipe permies manage to stay in post for years.

Comment

Role Representation Due to state of Market

Hello All,

I have been approached by 2 agencies to represent me for the same role

What should I do?

Go with 1 only?

I really need the role

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Girl View Post
          Hello All,

What should I do?

Go with 1 only?

I really need the role

Hi there,

No doubt we have here some contractors way more experienced than me, so will leave it to them for proper sage advice. On my side:

- First of all, this is a "state of the market" thread, not sure your question is related to it in any way... as contractors we need to be on the ball at all times. Take a deep breath, think things through and post where appropriate

- Think like an employer, not an employee. If I am an employer and I get the same CV from numerous recruiters, I may either think "wow, this could be a really good candidate! They are all trying to get her this job" or "this is a bit desperate and stupid, this person is applying for the same role through various agencies, hence its a bit dishonest with all these agencies, I don't think this is the type of person I want to employ"

My honest opinion? You need to choose one of the agencies and apply through that agency alone.

The key is to choosing the right agency and with recruitment agents being such slick and smooth talking little smarty pants, only you will be able to "gut feel" which will honestly put the best case forward.

Best of luck.

PS Please do remember not to sound "desperate" in all your conversations with them (unlike your posting on this thread). Keen, yes. Hungry for the role, yes. But not desperate. Recruiters can smell it a mile away and will eat you for breakfast.

Comment

First one should have made you send them something stating you are happy for them to represent you.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks

Originally posted by PermMCCon View Post
              Hi there,

No doubt we have here some contractors way more experienced than me, so will leave it to them for proper sage advice. On my side:

- First of all, this is a "state of the market" thread, not sure your question is related to it in any way... as contractors we need to be on the ball at all times. Take a deep breath, think things through and post where appropriate

- Think like an employer, not an employee. If I am an employer and I get the same CV from numerous recruiters, I may either think "wow, this could be a really good candidate! They are all trying to get her this job" or "this is a bit desperate and stupid, this person is applying for the same role through various agencies, hence its a bit dishonest with all these agencies, I don't think this is the type of person I want to employ"

My honest opinion? You need to choose one of the agencies and apply through that agency alone.

The key is to choosing the right agency and with recruitment agents being such slick and smooth talking little smarty pants, only you will be able to "gut feel" which will honestly put the best case forward.

Best of luck.

PS Please do remember not to sound "desperate" in all your conversations with them (unlike your posting on this thread). Keen, yes. Hungry for the role, yes. But not desperate. Recruiters can smell it a mile away and will eat you for breakfast.

Comment

Hello All,

What should I do?

Go with 1 only?

I really need the role
                If you know who the client is, go direct.

Comment

Hello All,

What should I do?

Go with 1 only?

I really need the role
                  This scenario has been covered many many times. Do a Google search on the site. The method is described in a sticky in the FAQ section.

Also try starting another thread rather than hijacking someone elses and taking it off topic.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    This scenario has been covered many many times. Do a Google search on the site. The method is described in a sticky in the FAQ section.

Also try starting another thread rather than hijacking someone elses and taking it off topic.
                    Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2434593

Comment

Issue is sorted now

Thanks All,

Apologies All I did not mean to Hijack the thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X