• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Lovely discussion and all total bollocks. Break the rules about overseas working after getting cleared and accepting the OSA conditions and that's a criminal offence. No hope of getting another job after that outside Mc Donald's...
    Would be able to work overseas though. McDonalds are everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Lovely discussion and all total bollocks. Break the rules about overseas working after getting cleared and accepting the OSA conditions and that's a criminal offence. No hope of getting another job after that outside Mc Donald's...
      Apologies, did not see the govt. bit mentioned by Tank. I am getting old!
      With other non govt. clients, yes, you can get away with it.
      Many clients also have a list of blacklisted countries. e.g. India, Russia, China, etc.

Don't work from those countries and you will be fine. I have done it for a whole year!

Comment

SC cleared roles used to pay wel. Now, they seem to pay only £200/day. WTH?

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post

Apologies, did not see the govt. bit mentioned by Tank. I am getting old!
          With other non govt. clients, yes, you can get away with it.
          Many clients also have a list of blacklisted countries. e.g. India, Russia, China, etc.

Don't work from those countries and you will be fine. I have done it for a whole year!
          If you have SC clearance there are 10 countries you are not allowed to visit, if you do you will lose the clearance. Can't remember the ten though. Know Russia, Belarus, North Korea, China are on it.

Comment

It's because there are muppets who flout the rules and work abroad when they are supposed to be connected safely and legally in the UK.

It's like you got exactly what you wanted.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Yet again another poor generalisation. No way are SC roles paying 200 a day. A two second scan of any job board will tell you that. Not a single role at 200 let alone SC.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Yet again another poor generalisation. No way are SC roles paying 200 a day. A two second scan of any job board will tell you that. Not a single role at 200 let alone SC.
                The SC cleared support role that I looked at only pays £200 per day.

Comment

Found the £200 advert

Attached Files
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The SC cleared support role that I looked at only pays £200 per day.
                    So you are asking what has happened to SC pay based on ONE role?

Checking Jobserve (I don't know why I'm bothering as this whole topic is ridiculous) but a non SC cleared coordinator only goes for 200. So there is no uplift for SC, where there often isn't and it's market rate.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 January 2024, 15:26.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The last few pages of this thread have really disappointed me. I thought you lot claimed to be IT experts!

Some obvious reasons you will be caught if working abroad without permission:-
                      • A client computer can, on demand or routinely, list bluetooth devices nearby, wifi networks nearby. It is easy to tell if someone is abroad if the access points are Yoico and JazzTEL, they're in Spain.
                      • Computers can contain GPS chips.
                      • Computers can contain SIM cards, you don't even know about.
                      • Computers can contain anti-theft devices which also report back other information, such as wifi accesspoints nearby, nearby mac addresses of wifi and bluetooth, anything a remote management bios from the likes of intel can interact with can be used to list your surroundings.
                      • Remote management is ubiquitous of course, so is remote webcam/mic checks and other third line tools for device management.
                      • Cloud services now offer detection of a VPN inside a VPN because certain network traits are exhibited when running a VPN inside another VPN. The hardware idea mentioned of running a VPN from the access point won't prevent this detection. A software VPN running over another client software VPN also won't prevent detection.
                      • If you're using 2FA on your phone via an app, google and microsoft apps can send back debug info, which is then fed into their cloud services. This can be linked with the VPN detection service to provide a realistic geolocation guess.
                      • Gov notify and other SMS 2FA send you an SMS and know whether your phone is in the UK or abroad when you receive it.

In short, don't even think about doing this for a gov contract and don't do it without permission from a private client, because unless they are a small time business with no security staff you will get caught and blacklisted from gov contractors and permanent roles and, in the present world environment, face legal problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X