• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I have said elsewhere I think the Inside/Outside determination is heavily influenced by sector. Certainly seems that Finance and Banking is almost all inside now but as something of a generalist I have yet to have an inside contract. I haven't got any niche skills or am in management but tend to work more for start ups and non-IT firms with development requirements who seem comfortable with outside determinations. Obvious it is a moveable feast and that can soon change.

That said most roles on Jobserve seem to be inside which suggest the outside ones aren't being advertised anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      but tend to work more for start ups and non-IT firms with development requirements who seem comfortable with outside determinations.
      There is an exemption for 'small' companies so that they do not have to make an IR35 determination, and it is left to the contractor.

A small company is defined as one which has any 2 of the following:

a turnover of £10.2 million or less.
      £5.1 million or less on its balance sheet.
      50 employees or fewer.

Comment

Happy new year fellas!
        Market is still slow. I am also seeing a few Outside IR35 roles. Meanwhile there are psstakers advertising £120/day Outside IR35 for Executive IT support roles!

Comment

Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
          [...]£120/day Outside IR35 for Executive IT support roles!
          Fill yer boots

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            In other news - someone who knows the recruitment market is saying that Contract work is doing way better than permanent recruitment
            Originally posted by Destiny2 View Post
            Happy new year fellas!
            Market is still slow. I am also seeing a few Outside IR35 roles. Meanwhile there are psstakers advertising £120/day Outside IR35 for Executive IT support roles!
            Assuming a. 8 hour day that’s not even minimum wage level from April - hourly pay needs to be a minimum of £15.04 to cover employer pension, employer NI and holiday pay.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAccountant View Post

There is an exemption for 'small' companies so that they do not have to make an IR35 determination, and it is left to the contractor.

A small company is defined as one which has any 2 of the following:

a turnover of £10.2 million or less.
              £5.1 million or less on its balance sheet.
              50 employees or fewer.

Also an exemption for clients that have no physical presence in the UK. Old rules still apply.

Comment

I've had a few calls from agents over the past two weeks. I'll take this as a good sign. I am so fed up of being poor and up to my eyeballs in debt.

But I don't get my hopes high just yet because the rates are horrible and the agents are as stupid as ever. "How many years of experience have you got? What was the last company you worked for?" - "It's all on my CV. Did you even read it?"

By the way, I do have a question to those smarter than me: can someone please explain the hiring logic to me like im 6?

Companies and recruiters: we're going to exploit the current market and offer bottom rates to top candidates. That's how we'll get the best people at the best rates!
                Employees: I need this £150 per day gig to survive, but once the tables turn I'm outta here.

Why do they even bother? Those of us that are desperate enough to accept those lowball gigs / jobs will flee at the first signs of spring, without ever looking back. And the employer will still have to pay the recruitment fees and will have to start the search again. Not to mention, that I don't think anyone will give these employers their 100% at a 1/3rd of a rate. Seriously, what are they all thinking? That they can replace us all with swathes of Indian consultants? We know how that ends.

Comment

Originally posted by wettowel View Post
                  I've had a few calls from agents over the past two weeks. I'll take this as a good sign. I am so fed up of being poor and up to my eyeballs in debt.

But I don't get my hopes high just yet because the rates are horrible and the agents are as stupid as ever. "How many years of experience have you got? What was the last company you worked for?" - "It's all on my CV. Did you even read it?"

By the way, I do have a question to those smarter than me: can someone please explain the hiring logic to me like im 6?

Companies and recruiters: we're going to exploit the current market and offer bottom rates to top candidates. That's how we'll get the best people at the best rates!
                  Employees: I need this £150 per day gig to survive, but once the tables turn I'm outta here.

Why do they even bother? Those of us that are desperate enough to accept those lowball gigs / jobs will flee at the first signs of spring, without ever looking back. And the employer will still have to pay the recruitment fees and will have to start the search again. Not to mention, that I don't think anyone will give these employers their 100% at a 1/3rd of a rate. Seriously, what are they all thinking? That they can replace us all with swathes of Indian consultants? We know how that ends.
                  I would never accept such a low rate, but then I have a large warchest which every contractor should have. Otherwise you are just like the permie living month to month being treated badly under the threat of losing your job.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I defended you to Unix so only fair I defend Unix's point. Gathering stats you are going to use on the forum using 18 roles on jobserve is next to useless and is going to open yourself to people like Unix ripping you a new one.
                    Sounds completely fair.

Over the last seven days, there have been 248 Project / Programme Mgt roles/adverts of which 40 were Outside; thereby a percentage of 84% have been Inside.

Not sure where else to go for higher or more meaningful stats...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

Sounds completely fair.

Over the last seven days, there have been 248 Project / Programme Mgt roles/adverts of which 40 were Outside; thereby a percentage of 84% have been Inside.

Not sure where else to go for higher or more meaningful stats...
                      It's too complex. Loads of articles have had a stab if you look around google but too many variables. Can't trust job boards as there are too many fake/repeated roles, determination isn't listed in a lot of cases and that can change so a poor choice for stats. Other sites look at the number of PSC's vs umbrellas but there are many reasons why people might have them open, dormat, MVL's etc.

Get on google and look for a couple of articles and just pick the one that sounds like the most effort has been put in to it or reflects the stats you want. There is no one answer.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X