• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    I'm through them but via non-UK office, they already mentioned lack of recruitment like a year ago.

Also, not sure how true the top comment is, but it seems grim:

"Job vacancies collapsing. Bankruptcies up by 24 %.
    Highest tax take for 70 yrs as bad as Labour in the worst days.
    Business confidence collapsing by 15% in Q1 of 2024.
    Government borrowing the highest ever.
    GDP falling .01% in quarter 3 2023.
    Unemployment rising.
    Does anyone see that I see. We are not in a recession due high levels of government expenditure.
    The wheels on that wagon are about to come off too. 30 % of the government expenditure is now debt.
    That cannot last"
    I couldn't read the article behind a paywall but another article in Shares magazine paints an even worse picture:

10% drop in like for like income
    UK & Ireland perm fees down 21%
    UK & Ireland temp fees down 13%
    Technology fees fell a whopping 32%

Shares in other European recruitment firms also fell sharply.

I've worked with Hays on recruitment a lot in the past at various clients and they are a good industry bellwether in public and private sector recruitment.

Be afraid. Very afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

I couldn't read the article behind a paywall but another article in Shares magazine paints an even worse picture:
      If you really want to read articles on the telegraph site all you have to do is disable javascript in Developer tools in Firefox or Chrome. It's not a very good paywall

Comment

Originally posted by SpliterOfLogs View Post

If you really want to read articles on the telegraph site all you have to do is disable javascript in Developer tools in Firefox or Chrome. It's not a very good paywall
        Blocking cookies works in safari

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          3 offers on the table and I am deciding which one to take

- 425 per day outiside ir35 in the public sector
          - 600 per day inside ir35 in a new exciting project/industry
          - 600 per day inside ir35 for an ex client

First thing first, I need to figure out which one has the best take home (my guess is the 2 inside gigs). Then it's a choice between comfortable in a role I've done already or try something totally new that could go either way.
          3 offers! Very nice.
          I don't get 3 phone calls from agents. FFS. Really could do with getting something now.

Comment

Had a good one today which typically exemplifies the state we are in right now.

A telco in The Netherlands, with my CV am guessing Liberty Global, offering a hybrid role, Inside IR35, £400/day. Absolutely no indication of their expectations for time in NL to cater to the hybrid requirements.

'Will my travel and hotel expenses be paid?'
            'No.'
            'Then if you are requiring a person from the UK, the very best of luck to you then.'

Wake up people, FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              3 offers on the table and I am deciding which one to take

- 425 per day outiside ir35 in the public sector
              - 600 per day inside ir35 in a new exciting project/industry
              - 600 per day inside ir35 for an ex client

First thing first, I need to figure out which one has the best take home (my guess is the 2 inside gigs). Then it's a choice between comfortable in a role I've done already or try something totally new that could go either way.
              Nice. I suspect the two inside ones will give you more on paper but will depend on what you've taken to date and what tax brackets you will hit so need to get a professional to crunch the numbers. If you are able to put most of it in to a pension it will greatly improve the take home as well so it's not really a straight forward decision. Even if (which I doubt) the outside one beats the other two there would have to be something special for me to go outside in the PS again. I've had good and bad gigs in PS so very project dependant.

I assume there are other factors you need to take in to account i.e. guesstimate of amount of work (not contract length), travel, whether you are at an age to coast or take on hectic gigs to learn from.

Very nice place to be though.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                Had a good one today which typically exemplifies the state we are in right now.

A telco in The Netherlands, with my CV am guessing Liberty Global, offering a hybrid role, Inside IR35, £400/day. Absolutely no indication of their expectations for time in NL to cater to the hybrid requirements.

'Will my travel and hotel expenses be paid?'
                'No.'
                'Then if you are requiring a person from the UK, the very best of luck to you then.'

Wake up people, FFS.
                Was this a convo with the agent or directly with the telco? Either way, retarded is a mild way of putting it, on the other hand they probably can't find anyone else outside the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                  Was this a convo with the agent or directly with the telco? Either way, retarded is a mild way of putting it, on the other hand they probably can't find anyone else outside the UK?
                  It was with the agent, who by the way was absolutely clueless...

Of course, this will not be fed back to the client to encourage them to take a long hard look at their offering. She will just bimble on until the role becomes forgotten about or internally filled.

Yeah, I know. 'Woe is me.'

Comment

Usually when things are bad there is still work about, its just the rates are lower. This time there is little to nothing to even apply to.

Had a few recruiters fishing saying a lot of client's are holding back to April

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

It was with the agent, who by the way was absolutely clueless...

Of course, this will not be fed back to the client to encourage them to take a long hard look at their offering. She will just bimble on until the role becomes forgotten about or internally filled.

Yeah, I know. 'Woe is me.'
                      Clueless agent then, so not much of a surprise, but you'd think they would at least try harder? I doubt you'd be even able to do the job with it being in EU, so wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing made absolutely no sense at all. Unless they have UK presence, but then why make it hybrid in NL?

Comment

Working...
                      X