• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

There did seem to be some anecdotal evidence on here of things improving before Christmas but if that is true it can end as soon as it begun.

By all means have a look elsewhere but I would be tempted to renew.
    My input is that there were deals done for programmes of work but the bidders bid too low on the rate cards and will be stuck with those rates (and whomever turns up to fill them) for the duration of the programme (12 months plus)

If you see people struggling to fill roles at low rates but offering long-term deals, its not just 'the market', it's because people have been under-bidding just to secure work. These programmes may or may not become complete disaster zones, depending on churn rate and whether you end up with a competent bunch.

I have also seen an up-tick in recruitment consultants being made redundant.

The pessimistic view is that this side-ways action in the market will continue until the U.K elections are done. If we assume May then taking a 6 month deal now on your current gig would be wise.

If you look at the share-prices of the usual suspects, nobody seems to be expecting much of an up-tick.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed
      I think the market varies a lot depending on your skill set, industry experience, etc.

I’m currently working a PM gig in a mid-sized insurance firm that’s in the throes of being ‘re-organised’ (redundancies, restructuring, etc etc).
      [snip]
      Why the re-org? and why now?

I'm currently in a place where they completed the re-org which effectively meant renaming some groups and moving people around. Worse thing is that the people who previously gave out decisions on extensions and where close to projects, can no longer do that, they can only say if it's worth keeping specific people, but the end decision is in the hands of higher ups who have no idea how the projects are going. Perfect timing considering my contract runs out end of this month and I really want an extension...

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Why the re-org? and why now?
        When is a big company ever not undergoing a transformation programme? It's never ending. A CEO doesn't get a bonus for just keeping things the same. Record profits or record losses, doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sreed

The company has been making a loss and the overseas parent co has given them an ultimatum to turn things around, hence the reorg.

Mind you, I'm not complaining, this contract role only came up because of the re-org.
          Not in the North of Englands is it with European ownership?

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

When is a big company ever not undergoing a transformation programme? It's never ending. A CEO doesn't get a bonus for just keeping things the same. Record profits or record losses, doesn't matter.
            Yeah true, actually one of the reasons the re-org happened at the place I'm at is exactly because of changes on the very top. Bloody fecking waste of time and already managed to piss enough people off that they are leaving (after effectively demoting some heads of depts). In the UK however I feel like re-orgs are being triggered to save money, thus the scramble to save asses etc.

Comment

Just been sent this:

FRONT END CONTRACTOR - FULL TIME

HYBRID / REMOTE

SMALL START UP BASED IN LONDON

Day rate: around £200

We're looking for a front end developer on a contract basis, with a good level of modern front end javascript. Ideally, that means you have experience in:
              • Frontend Development
              • Javascript & Typescript
              • React.js, Redux, Next.JS or similar front-end libraries
              • Basics of Google analytics: Google Tag Manager, etc
              • Ability to work closely with back end developers and systems, and business analysts
              • Used to working using agile and continuous integration methodologies. We currently use a Kanban method.
              • Ability to create unit tests.
              • Ability to turn designs into a pixel-perfect frontend product
              • Good communication skills and a willingness to engage directly with clients and end users.
              • Experience with mobile based products an advantage.

We're looking for an inquisitive and smart front end developer on a contract basis, who is keen to be part of a small and tight team at the early stages of our rollout.

You'll enjoy having access to the complete business, not just a small part of it. You enjoy having the opportunity to shape the solutions and suggest ways of doing things, as well as solid coding skills. The interview process will include a short coding exercise.
              Who takes on such contracts? I’ve been out of work for 9 months but I’d rather sell my house and work at McDonalds than accept a rate this low. It’s an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by wettowel View Post
                Just been sent this:

Who takes on such contracts? I’ve been out of work for 9 months but I’d rather sell my house and work at McDonalds than accept a rate this low. It’s an insult.
                I think you get free food a McDonalds plus a chance to become a manager.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Never understood why people slag of McDonalds, from what I've heard considering the skill level needed it's a pretty good employer with reasonable prospects if you want it. Same with the big supermarkets, not awful places to work.

Startups however, typically awful places to work. Long hours and terrible pay but it's a start up, all the cool kids are doing them!

Comment

Just been sent this:

I am seeing similar low rate ads frequently. I believe that these ads have been specifically structured to discourage locals from applying, so that they can hire from outside UK. I heard that there used to be a legal requirement to advertise locally first and prove that they can't find any suitable candidate locally before being allowed to recruit from outside the UK.

For this reason, whenever I see such advt in my tech area, I just apply. And guess what, I don't receive any response / calls.
                    Last edited by BigDataPro; 8 January 2024, 22:27.

Comment

Just been sent this:

You might be surprised, but even if you apply, the possibility of having a call back within the current market is super low, even with this rate. I have applied to similar contracts not because I was interested but just to see if I would hear back from them and nothing happened.

That's the state of the frontend market.

Apart from going back to Europe soon, I'll become this year fullstack and I don't mean Node.js + React.js I already know this stack.
                      Last edited by andromedan; 8 January 2024, 22:44.

Comment

Working...
                      X