• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

I've never done SC work, is the existing SC mandatory? Some adverts do state it, or list it as 'preferred', but surely it must be the case that they have to grow the SC pool eventually? I can't see permies with SC going contracting is enough to offset SC contractors retiring/changing industry.
    For some roles SC is not necessary. Some business may be willing to sponsor you going through the SC. You will work then in non-sensitive part of GOV.UK until your SC is achieved. It takes about 4 weeks to 12 weeks depending on circumstances. For Home Office, it is required. It is helpful for DWP and MOJ. Because of the length of time for SC then contracts were 6 months or guaranteed 3 months rolling (2014, 2015 and 2021 when I last went though it).

You can leave GOV.UK with a SC, but if it will expire automatically after the day after 1 year on the "outside" on the anniversary your last service day.

You can transfer SC from departments/area. If your worked in MOJ with SC then left for 6 months to, say, contract with GSK Pharma, then immediately contracted for DWP, then your SC is still valid. DWP liason with just transfer your last SC from MOJ to DWP, then it is renewed and you don't have go through the onerous process again. (I can't remember the official nomenclature=. I think it a secops cluster or something). Hence reading "must have active SC to apply" as you see in many job ads.

Comment

So extension confirmed today for another 7 months... In the current climate, couldn't be happier...

Comment

I am really unhappy in my current contract and would accept a hefty cut for something more interesting.

The market for Scala developers is dead at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
          I am really unhappy in my current contract and would accept a hefty cut for something more interesting.

Have you tried ITV / ITVX ? I don't know if they are taking contractors on. I worked with an ex-colleague (ex contractor like me) who went to ITV after GOV.UK with a pay cut. He is into CATS, Scalaz and FP stuff like folding left and folding right. He is definitely happier but less rich so to speak.

Can you switch to Kotlin? Actually, I don't think there are as many UK software house / fintech businesses using Kotlin as they are in the USA and Germany, Eastern Europe.

Comment

Since today is Black Friday

Click image for larger version

Name:	html-food.png
Views:	674
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	4278916

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
              The market looks dead for almost everything at the moment.

With GDP growth estimated at just 0.6% for 2024, things don't look good for next year either.

Flat GDP growth means companies not hiring, just making do with the people they already have.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Did he care to elaborate on the reason why so few people are moving?

Are we talking contractors out of a contract or permies sacked and looking?
                He gave two linked reasons for lack of movement at senior level. One is that candidates are more reluctant about moving given the current economic uncertainty.

From the client side, they are cautious about making changes at senior levels in terms of getting new blood in and the typical follow on of restructures, launching new initiatives etc.

It's a case of making do with what you have for the next few months at least.

Comment

Then you add time of year in as well. Nothing is going to get better this side of Christmas for sure

Comment

I got offered a nice outside remote role - turned it down because the interviewers were miserable as sin. Will look again in the new year :-)

Our job isn't to say yes to everything.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Have a possible role outside IR35 but it is only part time, 3 days per week.

i’d take it as I’ve been on the bench months….part time is better than nothing.

However it’s an agency I’ve never had of Googled them and it’s a one man band…looked up their accounts on companies house and big losses.

I tend to work via large agencies not had work via a one man band before…am going to say I want paid weekly if I get it as I don’t trust having a month’s plus wages outstanding especially in these economic times!

Comment

Working...
                      X