• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At times, this discussion thread gives the impression of a gladiator battle, observed by a large audience.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

LI shouldn't be a place for a lot of stuff that's on there. Sadly a lot of people use it like FB.
      Heaven forfend anyone try to inject a bit of warmth into that website.

Back to insincere share posts about some company's latest product that no one cares about
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by andromedan View Post
        At times, this discussion thread gives the impression of a gladiator battle, observed by a large audience.
        More "handbags at dawn", but I take your point

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Heaven forfend anyone try to inject a bit of warmth into that website.

Back to insincere share posts about some company's latest product that no one cares about
          There is warmth and there is oversharing in an attempt to guilt people into giving you a job.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

There is warmth and there is oversharing in an attempt to guilt people into giving you a job.
            Yeah but if someone tops themselves, everyone says afterward 'we didn't know, if only he had reached out and asked for help'

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Yeah but if someone tops themselves, everyone says afterward 'we didn't know, if only he had reached out and asked for help'
              A contact of mine posted what amounted to a suicide note on LinkedIn.

I hadn't heard from him in a few years but sounded like he had been struggling with his business, felt he was a failure and could no longer provide for his family.

Lots of his connections posted that they had tried to call him with no answer and asked him to call them for help.

The note was taken down the next day. I don't know what the outcome was and whether someone got to him in time.

Comment

Not sure I have ever seen the market this bad TBH. Even in COVID times, there were odd contracts to be found. ATM it is completely dry.

Really not sure what to do TBH. Applied for perm jobs which also seems dead, I can't see the market improving before June/July next year. My question is, how come companies don't have any projects, new clients, systems to take to the cloud?!

Very odd market.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                  Not sure I have ever seen the market this bad TBH. Even in COVID times, there were odd contracts to be found. ATM it is completely dry.
                  Hasn't been this bad since 2012-2013ish. At that point recruiters would be going full data harvest, 90% of roles were fake, everything needed references, super aggressive calls, they'd literally hang up on you the second they realised you didn't fit a role. I didn't start contracting until 2015 because I got all set up then couldn't find anything for 6 months, typical rates were 250-300/day all onsite.

After 2015 rates gradually increased but 400 was the cap for the best roles for a while, and it just inched over a few years ago, then had been increasing until this year when everything collapsed and almost every role is inside IR35.

Comment

I had a contract from a .gov.uk site cut short in a horrible manor. Nothing I did wrong but ran out of budget which I don't understand at all.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself TBH, I know I should pick myself up and go again but does grind motivation down and with the market the way it is, can't help feel the universe has conspired against me

Also got big costs coming up with the roof needed to be redone before winter and having been looking at a empty back account all year, it looks like it will be a tough few months.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                      My question is, how come companies don't have any projects, new clients, systems to take to the cloud?!
                      It's the economy, stupid.

Some companies are up to their eyes in debt and genuinely struggling. Many just don't want to overextend so locking everything does until the storm passes. It's hard to do cost benefit analysis when you have no idea what the costs are going to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X