• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluenose
    replied
    Originally posted by tsmith View Post

how do you use premium? whats the benefit?
    You don't need to use it as such, you just pay for it, keep applying and let the algorithmics in the back-end do the rest.

Also, make sure your linked-in tags are maxxed out, it used to be 30 tags, I have not checked to see the current limit.

The 'verify' feature seems to be used by quite a few people I have in my connections list, if you are on the bench you might as well enable that as well.

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

IT has been in slump for 20 months now, started middle of 2022. What industry is that linked in thread about, have they only started to really feel it now?

Thats to be expected from the 18 month delay from interest rates hikes to really hit the economy, but the IT contract market saw the effect after just 6 months.

Although 18 months ago interest rates were only 3%, so thats what the wider economy is feeling at the moment, just 3% interest rates, it might still require another six to nine months before the economy feels the full effect of 5% interest rates.
    Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
    I would strongly recommend using Linked-in Premium. It's not cheap but it does help.
    how do you use premium? whats the benefit?

ive got linkedin sales nav £80p/m + linkedin automation on the go. that gives me access to the full 1 billion LI database of people.

been running a campaign last 3 weeks to 1000 - 'heads of xxx'

only circa 3 so far said they had an open role. 1 x blockchain something. must have blockchain experience which i dont have

interesting to go this route to bypass the recruiters - i mean thats the way they operate - theyre going direct to employers

lots of 'we've just hired in the last couple of months' - 10+ of these responses - doubting its a legit response now- especially as ive never seen the roles advertised on these companies saying this.

also interesting roles i was rejected for ages ago - couple saying those roles are still live - probably ghost jobs

the rest is all 'not hiring' - a very insightful experiment thats for sure - also paints an uber bleak picture and explains why youre probably getting nowhere with job apps

Leave a comment:

• Bluenose
    replied
    I would strongly recommend using Linked-in Premium. It's not cheap but it does help.

Leave a comment:

• krytonsheep
    replied
    Originally posted by plutocrat View Post
    linked in has been a disaster.
    Whenever I go on LinkedIn I need a sick bucket after scrolling through the posts. Hard to tell if people are trying to sell their own 'Personal Brand' our writing their own obituary.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    What I find hilarious about LinkedIn job ads and posts advertising the job is that it doesn't matter how many times you write in CAPS that you're only looking for candidates that are based in the UK, you always get dozens of comments from the likes of Dipesh, Raj, Balaji based in India and with zero relevant experience

Must be fecking annoying for hiring managers and recruiters
    It's amazing how stupid people are. We have a cleaning company and sometimes advertise for cleaners. Had people from Brazil and African countries apply and one of the questions is 'Are you able to relocate for this job' and they respond no.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    What I find hilarious about LinkedIn job ads and posts advertising the job is that it doesn't matter how many times you write in CAPS that you're only looking for candidates that are based in the UK, you always get dozens of comments from the likes of Dipesh, Raj, Balaji based in India and with zero relevant experience

Must be fecking annoying for hiring managers and recruiters

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

[...]On a lot of applications now, there are one or two knockout questions e.g. 'do you have experience in X industry?' So applications can be filtered this way.[...]
    In theory, but people know that they will get ignored if they don't tick those boxes on the knockout questions, so they just say yes. It's like with most applications, majority of people lack experience in a certain field, lack certain skills etc. they apply anyway. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to filter CV, unless you look for keywords, but if those keywords are fairly standard, like React / Java / Angular / Git / Jira / Agile etc. then you end up with a huge stack of CVs post filtering anyway. Niche positions seem easier to fill, at least in principle, but then you have people who just stick whatever was on the job ad, on their CV and try to blag their way through.

My biggest issue with LI is the fact that recruiters often ignore messages and yes I realise there's a valid reason, but it's still annoying af. When I find a job ad and there's a name listed on the both for questions / details, I often connect to that person on LI and ask whatever questions I have, but 90% of the time they cannot be bothered. So you apply, wait 3 months only to find out that for example German is required for this position (which isn't listed in the job spec) and it's a no go. What a bloody waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by sreed View Post
    I currently have a ringside view of my client (mid sized FS firm) trying to hire a PM on an 18 month PAYE FTC. The pay budget (not disclosed on the listing) was pretty good at 90-110k. An FTC because they have a freeze on permie hiring so need to get around that.

The dept head spent quite a bit of effort into drafting the person spec, put the listing up on LinkedIn and got 57 applications within the day and his LI got bombarded with messages from candidates and agents trying to speak with him. He pulled the listing asap and then we spent time sorting through the apps only to realise that almost 90% of it was from people who didn’t have the industry experience mentioned in the person spec.

Finally interviewed 3 people and offered one the job. He accepted, 1 month notice and then he pulled out two days before joining. He’s not updated his LI profile yet but I’m guessing he just used this FTC as insurance and must have got something else.

So now it’s back to square one! Hiring can be an absolute pain in the ass, especially when 3 clicks can submit your application to a job.

I’m not unhappy as this delay probably means my contract gets extended beyond summer.
    It's never been easier to search for roles online and apply for them with a couple of clicks.

Paradoxically, it's never been more difficult to secure a role advertised online because it is so easy to apply and recruiters/hiring managers get bombarded with applications. On a lot of applications now, there are one or two knockout questions e.g. 'do you have experience in X industry?' So applications can be filtered this way.

I saw a role recently at 5pm on LinkedIn that had been posted an hour earlier at 4pm. By 930 next morning it was already taken down due to the number of applicants.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    I currently have a ringside view of my client (mid sized FS firm) trying to hire a PM on an 18 month PAYE FTC. The pay budget (not disclosed on the listing) was pretty good at 90-110k. An FTC because they have a freeze on permie hiring so need to get around that.

The dept head spent quite a bit of effort into drafting the person spec, put the listing up on LinkedIn and got 57 applications within the day and his LI got bombarded with messages from candidates and agents trying to speak with him. He pulled the listing asap and then we spent time sorting through the apps only to realise that almost 90% of it was from people who didn’t have the industry experience mentioned in the person spec.

Finally interviewed 3 people and offered one the job. He accepted, 1 month notice and then he pulled out two days before joining. He’s not updated his LI profile yet but I’m guessing he just used this FTC as insurance and must have got something else.

So now it’s back to square one! Hiring can be an absolute pain in the ass, especially when 3 clicks can submit your application to a job.

I’m not unhappy as this delay probably means my contract gets extended beyond summer.
    Last edited by sreed; 3 April 2024, 09:58.

Leave a comment:

• plutocrat
    replied
    Yeah I think the move from old style job boards to linked in has been a disaster. It's not as searchable, dumps you through to application website a lot of the time.

Markjet seems to be picking up though but a hell of a iot of competition, frustratingly getting to final 2 on a couple of jobs but not quite puling it off

Leave a comment:

Working...
X