• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Some companies still don't even use spreadsheets for test planning and issue management.
    FTFY
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Some companies still use spreadsheets for test planning and issue management.
      I can assure you they still use them for a hell of a lot more than that
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

And So On Ad Infinitum

I don't need to remind all you people who have studied automated testing: if you have lots of automated tests, you need to test them.

As things get bigger and bigger you might elect to automate the tests that test the automated tests.

Then you'll need to test the tests that test the tests.

Plenty of work there as far as I can see...
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The tools are, the cost of writing the script the robot follows isn't....
          Yet that's still cheaper than employing people to manually run the same tests over and over. Hence the popularity of Automated testing.

Besides, I've just flicked through 3 pages (59 roles) on jobserve with "tester" in the title, contract-only, last 7 days. I'd say 80+% of those roles are for "Automation" testers. They are also the roles - again, in general - with the highest daily rates, and sometimes by quite a margin. If I was a contract tester, I know which bit of the market I'd be chasing...
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            Yet that's still cheaper than employing people to manually run the same tests over and over. Hence the popularity of Automated testing.

Besides, I've just flicked through 3 pages (59 roles) on jobserve with "tester" in the title, contract-only, last 7 days. I'd say 80+% of those roles are for "Automation" testers. They are also the roles - again, in general - with the highest daily rates, and sometimes by quite a margin. If I was a contract tester, I know which bit of the market I'd be chasing...
            It always has been the case that there are a lot of adverts for automated testers. They are probably more in demand so they have to go looking for them.

Now most people with any hint of technical ability could cope with record and replay and some limited editing of scripts but taken to a high level it is a development discipline. It makes more sense for a developer to move into automated testing than a manual tester.

Comment

It always has been the case that there are a lot of adverts for automated testers. They are probably more in demand so they have to go looking for them.

Now most people with any hint of technical ability could cope with record and replay and some limited editing of scripts but taken to a high level it is a development discipline. It makes more sense for a developer to move into automated testing than a manual tester.
              And if they are anything like the couple who I've met who have done so they find themselves not just testing but hacking for the fun of it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The state of the market is rubbish. It is getting more and more ruthless. As NLUK has said many times, a contract is only worth it's notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                  As NLUK has said many times, a contract is only worth it's notice period.
                  When your business strategy is based on NLUK's posts, you're already finished.
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

Oi!!!!!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X