• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can also lose you a lot of money.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
      If you are unlucky enough to find yourself on the bench, the income from trading can see you through.
      I suspect that, if on the bench, the average contractor would make more money by stacking shelves in tesco than by online trading.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        It can also lose you a lot of money.
        Indeed, but being in business can also lose you a lot of money.

If you run your day trading as a business, with the right risk assessment and business plan, that you stick to, then you are more likely to make money than if you go into it blind.

Trading is not a get rich quick scheme, you will be looking for small gains with small risk. Most fail because they believe they are right and the market is wrong.

"The market will remain wrong longer than you will remain solvent."

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
          Trading is not a get rich quick scheme, you will be looking for small gains with small risk. Most fail because they believe they are right and the market is wrong.
          Fact.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            I suspect that, if on the bench, the average contractor would make more money by stacking shelves in tesco than by online trading.
            Stacking shelves is not a job you can just waltz into these days. There are many boxes to tick.

Comment

Here's my experience

I've been on the bench since October 1, looking for contracts as a SQL Developer, Data Warehouse person. So far, this time on the bench has been different than the last one in these ways:

--Not so many calls from agents, and hardly any calls from junior agents looking to pad out their database. Even though the total number of calls is down, the ones I've gotten have been more productive

--Nonetheless, my CV is still getting in front of clients from the few calls I've received. I've had 4 actual "send us an email stating we can represent you to a named client" requests, one (ridiculous) technical test and a telephone interview. While those numbers are lower than before, they aren't as bad as one might expect based on this gloomy thread.

--Positions currently advertised on jobserve are shocking! There's nothing, and the ones that are there have a laundry list of requirements and daily rates like it's 2009. Every role I see is looking for someone who can design the datawarehouse, make the analysis cube AND make pretty reports in PowerBI for £300 per day. These used to be 3 different roles.

--I'm thinking harder about going permie every day even though the amount of time that has passed is well within the range of previous bench sessions.
              Last edited by hairymouse; 24 October 2019, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                There's nothing, and the ones that are there have a laundry list of requirements and daily rates like it's 2009. Every role I see is looking for someone who can design the datawarehouse, make the analysis cube AND make pretty reports in PowerBI for £300 per day.
                ........and lead a team of 20 people offshore who don't speak any English, travel to Frankfurt 3 days a week and file detailed daily reports about why the project is so behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  ........and lead a team of 20 people offshore who don't speak any English, travel to Frankfurt 3 days a week and file detailed daily reports about why the project is so behind.
                  ..... on horseback, while playing Two trumpets.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                    Stacking shelves is not a job you can just waltz into these days. There are many boxes to tick.
                    Indeed, you will need to pass a technical test, provide two references and 10 years of verifiable shelf stacking experience.

You also need to be able to design, fit and build the shelves as well as test them out. You will need to be onsite 5 days per week with no remote working.

You will need to be flexible to work in Erskine in Scotland two days per week and train up our off-shore shelf-stacking innovation centre in Lahore.

As this role is inside IR35 you will need to pay for your own travel and accommodation costs.

This shelf-stacking role requires active DV Clearance.

If you are interested in this role, unfortunately you will need to type your application into a Portal, which has no CV upload functionality.

I will send you the link to the Portal shortly.
                    Last edited by Bluenose; 24 October 2019, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                      Indeed, you will need to pass a technical test, provide two references and 10 years of verifiable shelf stacking experience.

You also need to be able to design, fit and build the shelves as well as test them out. You will need to be onsite 5 days per week with no remote working.

You will need to be flexible to work in Erskine in Scotland two days per week and train up our off-shore shelf-stacking innovation centre in Lahore.

As this role is inside IR35 you will need to pay for your own travel and accommodation costs.

This shelf-stacking role requires active DV Clearance.

If you are interested in this role, unfortunately you will need to type your application into a Portal, which has no CV upload functionality.

I will send you the link to the Portal shortly.
                      You forget sir, after you pass all the requirements above you need to apply for your old o-level certificates to prove you got a C in Morden studies 34 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X