• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post

I don't get this either, same tulip with news about lay offs etc. the only major one was Intel where stocks went down pronto, but loads of companies are laying off in the states and nothing, markets just keep going up. US now announced they cocked up on employment figures by almost a million and? nothing, everything is still great, all good. You might see a small bump here and there, but overall, tulip just keeps growing.

How can it be so bad when it's so good?
    For the simple reason, that we are still at the start of something. It is precisely when interest rates are cut that markets tend to fall. Why? because central bank is cutting for the reason that things are getting worse. It is also like watching a car crash in slow motion, just because there is bad news does not mean things unravel fast, sentiment does not shift fast either, and is often reactive changing after the fact.

So at the moment, the tune is still playing, and the game of musical chairs is still in motion. But it has been some time and we all have the sense that the music might stop soon, but no-one can be sure when. However, the data says recession follows interest rate cut, and that is the rational thing to believe, even though there is excitement that a cut means new money and an economic boost. If central banks cut interest rates because the economy is worsening, banks will not be lending in that risky environment. Instead, there will be a lag before they start to lend on their increased reserves. So I think we are near the start of a slow down of as yet unknown depth. I look to the recovery beyond and consider how best to weather the storm (get a renewal on my contract!).

Brent Johnson covers it here:

https://youtu.be/K-M3JhRMJ_M?t=1354

I approached my bank for a secured loan on an investment property last week, and was given a quote at 13%. I emailed asking why so high? But no reply. They are basically saying f' off.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post

Congratulations TheDude!

So did you hold onto your LTD company whilst you were working Inside IR35?
      I closed off mine in 2021. It would be a very long time paying the accountancy their fees for a dormant business. Although my old accountant offered me 45% discount off each month. But I thought what was the point for Fixed Term Contract 2020 and then I went Perm in 2021.
      Whatever you do , don't pay them a penny. These accounts are so easy and trivial. Its like paying someone to fluff a pillow. Anyone can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
        I approached my bank for a secured loan on an investment property last week, and was given a quote at 13%. I emailed asking why so high? But no reply. They are basically saying f' off.
        TMW (Nationwide Building Society’s BTL lending arm) is offering secured loans (further-advances/additional-borrowing) secured against rental properties at sub 4% rates on low LTV 5 year fixes.

So if you’re being quoted 13% for a secured loan, that rate will have something to do with you, the kind of security, what you’re using the loan for, the lender’s risk appetite, etc., you know the things that go into pricing the risk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.jpeg
Views:	743
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	4295339

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post

For the simple reason, that we are still at the start of something. It is precisely when interest rates are cut that markets tend to fall. Why? because central bank is cutting for the reason that things are getting worse. It is also like watching a car crash in slow motion, just because there is bad news does not mean things unravel fast, sentiment does not shift fast either, and is often reactive changing after the fact.

So at the moment, the tune is still playing, and the game of musical chairs is still in motion. But it has been some time and we all have the sense that the music might stop soon, but no-one can be sure when. However, the data says recession follows interest rate cut, and that is the rational thing to believe, even though there is excitement that a cut means new money and an economic boost. If central banks cut interest rates because the economy is worsening, banks will not be lending in that risky environment. Instead, there will be a lag before they start to lend on their increased reserves. So I think we are near the start of a slow down of as yet unknown depth. I look to the recovery beyond and consider how best to weather the storm (get a renewal on my contract!).

Brent Johnson covers it here:

https://youtu.be/K-M3JhRMJ_M?t=1354

It's been 12mths since I've had contract. Are you really saying that this is just the start??

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post

It's been 12mths since I've had contract. Are you really saying that this is just the start??
            If you look at what the PM is also saying we are way off any kind of recovery unfortunately. I

Comment

Originally posted by avonleigh View Post

If you look at what the PM is also saying we are way off any kind of recovery unfortunately. I
              Yeah, around ten years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post

The tech sector has been in a slump for 24 months now.

If other sectors that have not had it as bad as us start to have their own slumps then it delays our recovery. As those sectors have IT departments that will do layoffs and stop hiring...

The hope is that doesn't happen and the central banks have pulled off a 'soft landing'

Comment

Has anyone worked with Sky? If so, do you have an inkling as to which of these agencies might be prime for a role? I've seen the same role advertised with three different recruitment agencies, all with slightly different features (such as location, rate, duration and industry) from which I've deduced that the role is most likely to be with Sky in Osterley. Now I want to know which agency I should actually try to work with!

Pyramid Consulting Europe Ltd
                  eTeam Inc
                  Templeton & Partners

TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Has anyone worked with Sky? If so, do you have an inkling as to which of these agencies might be prime for a role? I've seen the same role advertised with three different recruitment agencies, all with slightly different features (such as location, rate, duration and industry) from which I've deduced that the role is most likely to be with Sky in Osterley. Now I want to know which agency I should actually try to work with!

eTeam Inc
                    Templeton & Partners

TIA!
                    Not specific help to your question, if I see a role advertised by multiple agencies then I apply to them all and go with whoever contacts me first.

I'm surprised not to see TEKsystems in the list (who I'd go with) as they deal with Sky quite extensively, well up here for Livingston at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

eTeam Inc
                      Templeton & Partners

TIA!
                      Never heard of Pyramid. Other two I have. Not really helpful I know. But I am more likely to go with an agency I have heard of personally as there isn't any way of knowing who is a preferred supplier as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                      X