• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    As bad as things are now, they could get even worse, we could get a hung parliament and no interest rate cuts this year either..
    Well, yes, or nuclear war. However, a hung parliament is exceptionally unlikely and no interest rate cuts is relatively unlikely, but obviously not impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Well, yes, or nuclear war. However, a hung parliament is exceptionally unlikely and no interest rate cuts is relatively unlikely, but obviously not impossible.
      With the current polls, it seems nuclear war is more likely than a hung parliament!

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post

Read somewhere years ago that open plan offices are pretty rubbish for productivity even though they were adopted to aid communication\collaboration and maybe you can see why, because when I started work in 1989 the office looked like this. I was hoping the pendulum would swing back to between this and what we have now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	office.JPG
Views:	1233
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	4290426

As to Architects not concentrating as hard as a developer, I wouldn't know; but I do know I need to concentrate hard and wfh allows me to do that.
        Isn't that a still from the film Office Space?!

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

Don't know tbh, I just googled for office spaces with cubicles and that picture reminded of my first office in IT

Comment

Originally posted by brightondeveloper View Post

Probably not, I dont recall any east asians or playstations in Office space, but it is pretty similar to the office in the film.

A playstation would have been out place as the film was was aiming to portray Monotony and Boredom.

Even though back in the early 2000s i worked at a few places that had playstations but never saw anyone ever using them.

Unlike pool tables which actually get used everyday, however management is always keeping an eye on how long people are using them, or more likely its workers complaining (grassing up) other workers when they are jealous of them spending too long on the pool table, saw that happen a couple of times.
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 5 June 2024, 10:15.

Comment

Been on the bench since Monday. All a little quiet but early days.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                Been on the bench since Monday. All a little quiet but early days.
                Suspect it will be quiet until the election is finished
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

But more likely quiet until the US election is finished ie. January.

Not sure why Sunak went for it before the rate cuts. He must know something: Either no rate cuts this year, or at most just one rate cut this year, and/or the economy is set to worsen in the second half. If the projections were positive then he would have waited..
                  Last edited by Fraidycat; 6 June 2024, 06:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

But more likely quiet until the US election is finished ie. January.

Not sure why Sunak went for it before the rate cuts. He must know something: Either no rate cuts this year, or at most just one rate cut this year, and/or the economy is set to worsen in the second half. If the projections were positive then he would have waited..
                    1 story I heard is that there could well be 1 if not 2 state funerals later this year - so it’s gone early because there may not be a suitable time later…
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

First it's the elections, then it's going to be the summer holidays, then it's going to be the already Q4/end of the year...

There is always a justification to why the market is slow but the real reason is that the market just sucks baws and it's been like this for years

Comment

Working...
                      X