• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    I think there are enough teams out there where the majority of the members are between 40 and 65. That ageism isn't a huge problem.
    main problem remains the massive numbers of Indian nationals who have been allowed into the country completely distorting the jobs market.

Comment

Just been reading a thread on tech jobs on Glassdoor and feck me US is the same as UK / Europe or even more fecked. Normal to be unemployed for 6-12months apparently, flooded market, remote jobs lowering wages for everyone, companies picky as hell as they can basically pick from a huge talent pool. People either trying to wait it out with no real signs of recovery or leaving the industry (which is a miracle anyways as the job market in every industry seems tulipe).

So there, seems global and seems really really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
        Just been reading a thread on tech jobs on Glassdoor and feck me US is the same as UK / Europe or even more fecked. Normal to be unemployed for 6-12months apparently, flooded market, remote jobs lowering wages for everyone, companies picky as hell as they can basically pick from a huge talent pool. People either trying to wait it out with no real signs of recovery or leaving the industry (which is a miracle anyways as the job market in every industry seems tulipe).

So there, seems global and seems really really bad.

I went over to see the car crash:

“I'm at 19 months unemployed since being laid off. Before this I have never had to look for a position. I've always been recruited. Now, it seems I can't even get an interview with the volume of applications. I feel like I'm not being seen, or maybe I'm being aged out. I have no idea. But I'm close to having to sell my house if I don't find a job very soon”

“I’ve been unemployed and applying/interviewing for the last year and a half - the job market is insanely competitive right now”

“I'm on month 17, used to get lots of interviews because I lived in a major city, but after my lease ended I had to move back to the middle of nowhere with my parents. I got one offer last December for under my goal comp in person across the country that im now trying to get back, but otherwise I'm totally hopeless.”

“Took me 18 months to land my new role. Would have been 12, but the company that wanted to make me an offer froze hiring for 6 months. It's a tulipty job market right now.”

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

main problem remains the massive numbers of Indian nationals who have been allowed into the country completely distorting the jobs market.
          Totally agree! It’s a big problem …I said this in the other thread about visa sponsorship and got set upon by dsc and few others …

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post

Totally agree! It’s a big problem …I said this in the other thread about visa sponsorship and got set upon by dsc and few others …
            Hardly surprising because they are now here so there is nothing you can do about it.

I will ignore the blatant racism
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ahh!! It’s not racism it’s facts …when anyone says number have increased this is the line that comes out…😳. Numbers are numbers pure and simple …

Comment

If we all decamped en masse to another country the locals would be saying the exact same thing… it’s a fact …job market been impacted simple as….factual !

Comment

I’ve worked with many Indian nationals and have nothing against them …it’s a fact though that due to visa etc there has been a noticeable impact…they even say so themselves …it’s like the emperors new clothes on here hey ho! Have a good day enjoy the sunshine 🌞

Comment

The thing is, you should be able to complete in a global marketplace. It has hardly been a recent phenomenon. Anyone who was left napping while the generic IT/coding/testing/PM skillsets became heavily commoditized probably should've woken up a bit sooner and made a plan. In my experience, people who complain endlessly about other people "taking their jobs" are insufficiently focused on their own agency. Many of us have probably worked overseas. Many people come from overseas to work here. Learn to compete, which means reskilling when your skillset becomes oversupplied or in low demand. I thought that's what contracting was all about...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      The thing is, you should be able to complete in a global marketplace...
                      Learn to compete, which means reskilling when your skillset becomes oversupplied or in low demand.

Thats impossible now with fully remote jobs getting more common post covid.

We cant compete with those in locations with much lower costs of living.

At previous client, there was a mid level permie guy based in Greece on 30K and Senior guy based in spain on 50K, both were getting high end pay in their locations and experience levels. Both getting paid half of what they would get in the UK.

And those in East Europe are even cheaper than those in Greece and Spain.

We should probably count ourselves lucky that India and China are in very different timezones to us and Africans aren't into IT.

It is easy to say 'reskill', but those in Greece/Spain/East Europe are all going to be reskilling at the same time as well.

On a off topic but related note:

China are producing cheap EV cars now. The US and Germans wont be able to compete, so they will to slap large tariffs on Chinese cars. So much for 'competing in the global market place' Our large corporations get government help when they cant compete which includes being able to import cheap IT workers. We get thrown under the bus.
                      Last edited by Fraidycat; 19 May 2024, 21:24.

Comment

Working...
                      X