• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post

That one is, I see lots at £800+ per day. Cherry picking really low rate ones and presenting that as the norm is rather disingenuous.
    Agreed - there's quite a wide range of rates. Some are priced according to the level of experience needed and some are chancing their arm in the hope some mug goes for it. Always was that way since the dawn of time.

Comment

Originally posted by fsltduk View Post
      Inside IR35 contract rates are a joke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-02-20 165456.png
Views:	822
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	4284989
      Inside Roles are killing me at the moment. I live in Scotland and my skills don't tend to match a lot of roles. The issue I'm having is roles that are coming up are inside and London based they just don't work for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position but its making things twice as hard at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post

Inside Roles are killing me at the moment. I live in Scotland and my skills don't tend to match a lot of roles. The issue I'm having is roles that are coming up are inside and London based they just don't work for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this position but its making things twice as hard at the moment.
        The end of the contractor market for those in awkward locations would have been instant when the changes were made if Covid hadn’t come along.

reality is that for some people finding a permanent local(ish) job is going to be their only option
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

The end of the contractor market for those in awkward locations would have been instant when the changes were made if Covid hadn’t come along.

reality is that for some people finding a permanent local(ish) job is going to be their only option
          I feel like this new reality already started for some in some areas, hence so many applications for perm roles.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

I feel like this new reality already started for some in some areas, hence so many applications for perm roles.
            Which is all great until they wonder why someone who has been contracting for 20 years is applying for a 70k perm role. And there isn't really an easy answer for that. You can't really say "I'm down to the bare bones and this job at one third of my day rate is a stop gap until the storm blows over".

Comment

That one is, I see lots at £800+ per day. Cherry picking really low rate ones and presenting that as the norm is rather disingenuous.
              But it is the norm. Few of us make more than £500/day.
              I'm lucky enough to be in contract at the moment, on £350/day inside, with 2 days a week onsite in the City at a global bank. But I've never earned more than £450/day as a SQL developer, over a 25 year career, so £350/day isn't that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

But it is the norm. Few of us make more than £500/day.
                I'm lucky enough to be in contract at the moment, on £350/day inside, with 2 days a week onsite in the City at a global bank. But I've never earned more than £450/day as a SQL developer, over a 25 year career, so £350/day isn't that bad.

Comment

Laughing at someone because they are not at as high a level in their career as you implicitly are, is not very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Laughing at someone because they are not at as high a level in their career as you implicitly are, is not very nice.
                    I'm not laughing at that, it's that you equate everyone to your own circumstance.

Comment

I'm not laughing at that, it's that you equate everyone to your own circumstance.
                      That's what I thought you might mean- I'm happy with that thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                      X