• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency asking for laptop log-in details following termination

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At my last permie place we had an Indian contractor leave and shortly after I was sorting out his laptop to convert it into a pool laptop for WFH, he left his entire life on there, scans of his passport, driving licence bank statements etc. I could also access his work email account which was full of jobserve and matrimonal emails, looks like he spent most of his time at his client looking for jobs and brides

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      At my last permie place we had an Indian contractor leave and shortly after I was sorting out his laptop to convert it into a pool laptop for WFH, he left his entire life on there, scans of his passport, driving licence bank statements etc. I could also access his work email account which was full of jobserve and matrimonal emails, looks like he spent most of his time at his client looking for jobs and brides
      Wow. I stopped using company machines for personal biz long ago. I even have a MiFi contract just to keep my kit off their network - filtering personal email and other crap is a pain anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
        After leaving a gig (following giving notice) 5 days ago my agency has contacted me to say the end client has a query with laptop password and needs it to get in. In all the contracts I've had this has never been asked of me before after leaving. To be honest I've forgotten the log-in details now anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?
        Not really, I always set the password on any work machines back to "password" and leave a post-it on the screen to say what I've done.

It seems hard to beliwve that you've forgotten your logon after 5 days too...

Boo

Comment

I was contracting into a client a few years ago. When I left I removed all the personal stuff from the laptop, but left the business stuff on it.
          Came back 2 years later, got a new laptop. They did a backup of the old laptop when I left, then restored the data from it onto the new one when I came back.

I take my iPad to client sites, but would not take my own laptop. It becomes a ballache if you are travelling and have to carry two laptops everywhere. I'm contracted to the client to work for them, not to work for myself/others. Their computer, their work.
          The "personal" things on their laptop will be my passport/airline/hotel loyalty card info and that's about it - so that when ClientCo is booking flights/hotels, I can make sure I get my points.
          For personal emails I use the Internet.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I hope you defrauded him in some way, otherwise a missed opportunity
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
              After leaving a gig (following giving notice) 5 days ago my agency has contacted me to say the end client has a query with laptop password and needs it to get in. In all the contracts I've had this has never been asked of me before after leaving. To be honest I've forgotten the log-in details now anyway. Has anyone else experienced this?
              Have you been paid yet?

Comment

If I need to send a personal email during the day, I'll use my phone.

What century are you lot living in?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

At my last permie place we had an Indian contractor...
                  I could also access his work email account which was full of jobserve and matrimonal emails, looks like he spent most of his time at his client looking for jobs and brides

I didn't know BrilloPad was Indian.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    I didn't know BrilloPad was Indian.
                    I had him down as Chinese, the plot thickens....
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                      I hope you defrauded him in some way, otherwise a missed opportunity
                      I was still in touch with him, he was a good bloke, we all ripped the p!ss out of him when we met up for a curry a few months later

Comment

Working...
                      X