• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies with Chips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I remember when I first started contracting years ago. I'd left a perm job with a company car and bought myself a new car. Lemon yellow hyundai coupe. I liked it anyway.

They werent that expensive to be honest (because it was hyundai) but it did look expensive at least. Had a private plate too - not an expensive one just one of the DVLA ones that was £200 or something.

So anyway, worked with this dutch guy. Nice fella, used to go to canteen together etc. really friendly. Until he saw me get out of the car one morning.

He came over to my desk and said can't believe you've got that car and you waste money on a private plate.

Blanked me and never spoke to me again. Really weird.

I never found out why he took offence but I thought maybe he had financial problems and was a bit peed off that there was a contractor there who looked like he had a flash motor.
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Rory Rory Tell Us a Story.....

Dutch had fancied you from the moment he set eyes on you, before you had even walked into his office, before even the ink had dried on the contract paperwork. He had fallen in love with the idea of being in love with you, and he knew this was a dangerous game but he knew that he could not stay away.

His dreams were shattered on that fateful, rain drenched morning. Dutch peered out from his drab office, wiping away the condensation that had formed by the cold winter rain settling against the warm window glass. He took a second look, trying to steady each beat of his heart that had suddenly become deep and erratic, fighting to disbelieve what his eyes were trying to tell him: Psychocandy was a Hyundai driver.

Comment

I'm surprised this is still an issue as these days a lot of permies earn more than contractors do anyway even if its £500 aday as most really fail IR35, expenses are going, permies employers pay there pension etc etc I thought contracting these days not about the £ but the flexibility to be your own boss.
      I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Yeah I rolled up to a client once in a proper pussy wagon, only the one time mind...

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
          I'm surprised this is still an issue as these days a lot of permies earn more than contractors do anyway even if its £500 aday as most really fail IR35, expenses are going, permies employers pay there pension etc etc I thought contracting these days not about the £ but the flexibility to be your own boss.

It's all about perception, which will be different for the client management (who bring in the contractors in the first place so don't see the rate as an issue), and the permie staff who may be getting all the staff benefits to close the gap somewhat but they just see the contract rate (or imagine what that rate will be if they aren't involved in the paperwork).

One of the reasons I don't like the secrecy around what the agency is billing the client is that the perceived value is hidden, which may be substantially different from contractor to client if the agency is taking a big cut. I've outlasted similarly skilled contractors when a project is winding down due to them being on a higher rate with the client yet 'taking home' similar to myself due to the agency taking a bigger cut.

So if on a contract you get ribbed for 'raking it in' yet feel the rate is average at best, maybe they've seen or heard what another contractor is on that has a totally different skills set so commands 2 or 3 times the rate. They think we're all on roughly the same when it can differ massively for many reasons.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Yeah I rolled up to a client once in a proper pussy wagon, only the one time mind...

That gives me an idea to get around the jealousy of contractors and their flash cars. Fit an MR2 body kit to the Ferrari for when on site.

Or a Beetle car wrap to the Porsche.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hire a limo on your last day and wave a fan of £100s out the window at them as you leave.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                He came over to my desk and said can't believe you've got that car and you waste money on a private plate.

Blanked me and never spoke to me again. Really weird.

I never found out why he took offence but I thought maybe he had financial problems and was a bit peed off that there was a contractor there who looked like he had a flash motor.
                He didn't take offence. Some people will believe even the most stupid of excuses though.

HTHBIDI
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  He didn't take offence. Some people will believe even the most stupid of excuses though.

HTHBIDI

Anyone who buys a yellow Hyundai Coupe then puts a private plate on it needs blanking.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
                    If that were true, there would be no need to try to clamp down on IR35, introduce a dividend tax, and attempt to force people into being paid as a permie after one month with the same client, and HMRC would be shouting from the rooftops.

But it's not.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                      Hire a limo on your last day and wave a fan of £100s out the window at them as you leave.
                      That way, the permies will take pity on you for having to use Scottish or Northern Irish notes?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                      X