• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days before contract renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days before contract renewal

Thanks to CUK I made my transition successfully across to contracting late last year. I got my first gig which is a 3 month contract and is now coming to and end mid Feb. Client is happy with my work and agent told me they would like to renew. I have chased up agent a couple of times and he says paperwork is with client. There is only next week and I don't have anything else lined up if this doesn't work out for whatever reason. Should I start applying to other roles or wait - getting a bit nervous and would like to know your thoughts

Talk to the client directly to find out the project scope then start looking around.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You are probably fine. Your contract renewal paperwork is far more important to you than your client, and it's bound to be sitting on someone's desk awaiting approval.

Talk to your client.

If you aren't completely happy with their answers, start looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
        Thanks to CUK I made my transition successfully across to contracting late last year. I got my first gig which is a 3 month contract and is now coming to and end mid Feb. Client is happy with my work and agent told me they would like to renew. I have chased up agent a couple of times and he says paperwork is with client. There is only next week and I don't have anything else lined up if this doesn't work out for whatever reason. Should I start applying to other roles or wait - getting a bit nervous and would like to know your thoughts
        Go through the emotions. If you get the paperwork, then you are in. If you don't, then start looking.

Comment

Happens all the time, get used to it.

Doesn't do ant harm to start looking.

It's happened in the past were I've done this and ended up moving on as another role has come along and I've got fed up waiting around to find out about an extension.

Never had an issue with the client over this. Most are aware of the risk that late renewals pose.

Although I do agree that you should speak to the client first. You will normally get a good 'feel' for the situation.
          Last edited by silent bob; 5 February 2016, 09:01.

Comment

Probably stuck in the paper work red tape. But you should know by now how long the project is going for and whether they want you to stay? If you don't then talk to the client.

Also it's wise to keep an eye on the market at this point in case there is no renewal.

Comment

Current contract

5 weeks before the current end date I emailed & 'phoned the pimp, with no reply. Talked to the client hiring manger with 4 weeks to go, just as a reminder. She asked "why hasn't the pimp been in touch then?". With 3 weeks left, got an extension approval, just waiting for the paperwork, it's only 6 weeks, but it pays the bills. If it have got to 2 weeks the before the end, with nothing, then I tend to notify immediate manager "When do you want a hand-over?"

Some are more on the ball than others.

Comment

Welcome to the contracting world!

The advice is all very sound on this board about speaking to the client. Just frame it as you are happy they have decided to extend you however you would like the renewal to be confirmed as you wouldn't like to have a week away from the project if the renewal gets delayed.

Another thing, is a few weeks before the contract end date, I always look towards an "Exit Plan"

1) Rework your CVs (Even updating it will help you if there is a sudden end of contract)

2) Fire them out in to the Market to see what is out there

3) Do something for the people who hired you or helped you. Stick it on entertainment expenses (A good bottle of wine, drinks, dinner). It will go a long way and make you look grateful to them which is a very endearing quality (Not the money sucking contractor)

Comment

Put a note in your Calendar - last day of contract - and copy the hiring manager. So they have it as a reminder.
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I always start talking to the client a month out from the end of the contract.

Actually I am currently 2 months out and already mentioned it as would be useful to know because I book my train 12 weeks in advance.

It happens I have, in the past, signed renewal docs 2 days before the end of contract. I'm sure there are a few folks who have continued working after the end of contract waiting for promised paperwork.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X