• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days before contract renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I am overthinking this but I usually don't interact with the person who would re-signs the contract day to day, but I know who it is. I want to send an email but not sure if I should use MyCo email or the temporary client email address - not sure how formal this should be?

Comment

There are a number of elements to a renewal but the two main ones are budget and work to do. Not much you can do about budgets unless you are in a position to be close to them but you are at the work end so can make a reasonable assumption as to whether there is enough for you to do in the next period and so at least have some indication if a renewal is forthcoming. If there is then you just at the mercy of the budget.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people I've met that get upset that the didn't get a renewal when their project has either finished or is in the lessons learned phase or something... Like dude there is nothing more for you to do. Why on earth have you set yourself the expectation you are getting renewed.

There is nothing much you can do about it but it does help set expectations. If the agent says he'll get the renewal sorted and goes quiet but you know there isn't much work to do then I think you should be able to work out what you should do.

There are of course those people that know there is no work left but expect to be renewed and put on a new piece of work... Nothing we can do for them....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is enough to work - I am mid way project 1 and have been put on project 2 which is just kicking off - so working two projects. They then asked me if I can take on project 3 and pushed back as that would majorly cut into CUK reading time. So the work is there, just want to make sure I remind the right people without coming across as over eager or pushy if that makes sense - so would like to email client, but was wondering if I use MyCo email is it too formal?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          There are a number of elements to a renewal but the two main ones are budget and work to do. Not much you can do about budgets unless you are in a position to be close to them but you are at the work end so can make a reasonable assumption as to whether there is enough for you to do in the next period and so at least have some indication if a renewal is forthcoming. If there is then you just at the mercy of the budget.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people I've met that get upset that the didn't get a renewal when their project has either finished or is in the lessons learned phase or something... Like dude there is nothing more for you to do. Why on earth have you set yourself the expectation you are getting renewed.

There is nothing much you can do about it but it does help set expectations. If the agent says he'll get the renewal sorted and goes quiet but you know there isn't much work to do then I think you should be able to work out what you should do.

There are of course those people that know there is no work left but expect to be renewed and put on a new piece of work... Nothing we can do for them....
          There is nothing stopping someone hitting all their deliverables, networking like hell within the clientco and getting a parallel move to a project within the organisation and an extension. No guarantees but 3 booms & several rehires for me that way.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            There is nothing stopping someone hitting all their deliverables, networking like hell within the clientco and getting a parallel move to a project within the organisation and an extension. No guarantees but 3 booms & several rehires for me that way.
            Absolutely. Bit knowing what you've got to do can help with the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
              There is enough to work - I am mid way project 1 and have been put on project 2 which is just kicking off - so working two projects. They then asked me if I can take on project 3 and pushed back as that would majorly cut into CUK reading time. So the work is there, just want to make sure I remind the right people without coming across as over eager or pushy if that makes sense - so would like to email client, but was wondering if I use MyCo email is it too formal?
              Well that sounds hopeful but... Sounds like you got a D&C, part and parcel problem there. Each of these new pieces of work is a new schedule of work or have you just done as they ask?

Comment

Well then.... let us take your feelings out of this because I feel you are getting a wee bit soft and you need to man up to look at the facts you have stated.

You are working on Project 1 - Unfinished
                You are starting Project 2 - Unfinished
                You are being picked for Project 3 - Unfinished

So factor 1 by NLUK - There is unfinished work that needs to be done (A lot). They are asking you to go on projects which means they like what you are doing and trust you. They are making long term plans for you which means they are likely to be working through the channels to get you the extension. Remember your cost will be big cash and someone up the chain who is probably busy needs to get round to signing it.

Sorry if that is harsh however you need to stop worrying because it will get in the way of your work!

Comment

Ok my newbie ness will show but what is D&C? On my contract I have a generic consulting services offering and not project specific - is that a bad thing?

Comment

Direction and control and yes it is. You know what IR35 is?

Comment

Ok my newbie ness will show but what is D&C? On my contract I have a generic consulting services offering and not project specific - is that a bad thing?
                      Direction and Control, i.e. if you're working through your own LLC you'll likely be viewed as inside IR35.

Comment

Working...
                      X