• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days before contract renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    Link or username? Assuming there's a thread. Might be useful to the OP I'm thinking.
    It's a legal case from one of the UK jurisdictions so Google is your friend.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Christ.

Right click, search Google for '*'.

IT contractor JLJ in first ever 'split IR35 case' :: Contractor UK

I thought the Indians were bad.

Comment

Looks like it will be a weekend of heavy reading but the article has pointed me in the right direction.

So it looks like the main things I need to get my head around is:
        - mutuality of obligation
        - substitution and
        - control.

Already starting to see what was wrong with some of the questions I asked. Oh my oh my.

It still looks like if I got the contract "fixed" the way I work with the end client would also need to change...

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
          Looks like it will be a weekend of heavy reading but the article has pointed me in the right direction.

So it looks like the main things I need to get my head around is:
          - mutuality of obligation
          - substitution and
          - control.

Already starting to see what was wrong with some of the questions I asked. Oh my oh my.

It still looks like if I got the contract "fixed" the way I work with the end client would also need to change...
          I wouldn't be narrowing down to this end three. You need to understand it fully not tick box it. Those three are the main flags but not the only ones. You need to get your head around IR35 which includes those things.

Correct but its must admit I'm struggling to see how HMRC will be convinced how a gig that was inside suddenly becomes outside over night after a change in paperwork and an act at the client. Would look like a sham to me. It's the same gig doing work thats already lined up before the change. My personal opinion on this one is whatever you do you are running at a very high risk now. I'd not be there much longer.

You've also got to have a long chat with your accountant about what you do with the previous gigs accounts don't forget.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oh and as part of your research take a long read of the Future of Contracting area of the forum. It will tell you the trouble we are in and might explain some of the bashing you think you got.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post

When you realise what you don't know get worried

When you realise the point is to stop you having certainty buy insurance.

When you decide to buy insurance do lots of research on who will defend you even if you have to play to the media.

Also be aware you need a lawyer to look at law, an accountant to look at tax, and if you screw up with both so are in HMRC's sight a tax lawyer - this is what the insurance pays for.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                When you realise what you don't know get worried

When you realise the point is to stop you having certainty buy insurance.

When you decide to buy insurance do lots of research on who will defend you even if you have to play to the media.

Also be aware you need a lawyer to look at law, an accountant to look at tax, and if you screw up with both so are in HMRC's sight a tax lawyer - this is what the insurance pays for.

Unfortunately I very much doubt he could claim on insurance for a problem that had already arisen prior to taking out the policy so he's going to have to stump up for that accountant & lawyer himself.

The insurance is still worth it for next time he may make a mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X