• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days before contract renewal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why don't you care about the fundamental tool you use for contracting? That's just stupid and as a director you'd be failing in your legal duty.
    I'm with an umbrella and I can't see changing that just to claw back a few grand from the tax man. Really not worth the bother to me.

Rather than all this IR35 palaver I don't get why the govt don't just remove all the tax incentives for incorporating with less than ten employees. If that's considered too punitive and not worth it then they should stop with the IR35 nonsense as I doubt it's any more worthwhile than cracking down on benefit cheats. But really for a different thread.

Comment

Oh wow - that's a lot to take in. So I had done some minor reading on IR35 but evidently not enough.

Apologies it is LTD and not LLD. As I said in the original post this is my first contract and was 3 months. I have all the money in the bank as I have been using savings.

If IR35 is per contract then I need to get the contract revised if it is to be renewed.

There is a schedule in the contract, but refers to consulting services and doesn't clearly outline the project. Is this something I should get done?

Is the best option to get the full QDoS contract review service and send their changes across to agent?

I would like to fix the situation I am in, but I am having a hard time sorting out the useful info from the newbie bashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
        Oh wow - that's a lot to take in. So I had done some minor reading on IR35 but evidently not enough.

Apologies it is LTD and not LLD. As I said in the original post this is my first contract and was 3 months. I have all the money in the bank as I have been using savings.

If IR35 is per contract then I need to get the contract revised if it is to be renewed.

There is a schedule in the contract, but refers to consulting services and doesn't clearly outline the project. Is this something I should get done?

Is the best option to get the full QDoS contract review service and send their changes across to agent?

I would like to fix the situation I am in, but I am having a hard time sorting out the useful info from the newbie bashing.
        Get the renewal contract over to QDOS take their advice and get the agent to amend is the first step. Rinse repeat for each new contract

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
          Get the renewal contract over to QDOS take their advice and get the agent to amend is the first step. Rinse repeat for each new contract
          But always remember working practices trump the contract so you've got to know IR35 and keep on top of it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

yes thats important as well if you dont want a big scary tax bill one day. Keep smiling, keep on invoicing and pay as little tax as possible

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
              Do that. Also understand what working practices affect IR35.

Did you discuss any of this with your accountant, if not you should if you did you need a new accountant

Comment

But always remember working practices trump the contract so you've got to know IR35 and keep on top of it.
                That seems like it could be a risk even if the client is helping. Where I am now, they refer to all the work as "projects" - despite them lasting only a day or two - and the line manager doesn't actively steer anyone, but I think you'd have a hard time convincing the tax man this gig is outside IR35.

Comment

Some gigs are inside and there is nothing you can do about it but it's not hard for a perfectly outside gig to switch inside. Look at the JLJ case. First half was fine but then he stopped getting schedules of work, did whatever the client wanted and became part and parcel and HMRC got him for it.

Comment

Some gigs are inside and there is nothing you can do about it but it's not hard for a perfectly outside gig to switch inside. Look at the JLJ case. First half was fine but then he stopped getting schedules of work, did whatever the client wanted and became part and parcel and HMRC got him for it.
                    Link or username? Assuming there's a thread. Might be useful to the OP I'm thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                      Link or username? Assuming there's a thread. Might be useful to the OP I'm thinking.
                      How about you do it then?

Comment

Working...
                      X