• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAT testing?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAT testing?!

I just started a new contract, and yet again I landed up with a 800x600 4:3 monitor and a dying laptop. But company policy is I MUST USE THESE because of PAT testing. But under the desks is spaghetti junction of wires...
    At the start of my contracting I invested about ~£400 on nice dell 2xU241H monitors and floating desk stand cause. ON vertical and one horizontal monitor - I love it and that is how I best code.

Can I just get a PAT company to test my cords and monitors, slap a sticker on it and certificate of testing and bring in my monitors. Seriosly man, did I ever tell a plumber they need to use my approved swiss knife only to install my central heating? This is really pee'ing me off now, every, single, place I start at (except one direct contract, I just used my laptop and monitors and started codding within 2 hours) always the same problem, bla bla bla. Now I am contracted for a massive global company, 4 days in, I still have not looked the code cause the dev machine is cr*p, I cant see any thing!

Any advice on this? I am sure allot of you may not be bothered (as I 90% contractors working on the 14" screen and are happy chappy) I cant work like that. The more I see the more I can understand and do.

Then then they say I got to used Visual Studio 2012... yea, I have my own 2013,2015 MSDN license, my own office 2016, my own everything. No, its against IT policy, you must use old software to create cutting edge software. I think these policies are meant for normal employees to stop them fron installing rubbish, but force developes into a sandbox with no privlegas to design cutting edge stuff.

In regards to PAT testing the companies/individuals who do it expect you to pay for lots of items to be done at once not for 1-2 items so will quote you a price for multiple items.

Personally I would get cheaper monitors to bring into a client's site not your nice Dells and get PAT tested. Also put hard to remove stickers with your company details on the back of them.

I've been on sites where I've been given decent monitors and some internal staff member from a different department has walked of with them....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Bad workman always blames his tools.

People have been managing fine on old kit and out if date software forever. I don't think that's the problem that needs changing.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

People have been managing fine on old kit and out if date software forever. I don't think that's the problem that needs changing.
        Rubbish a decent spec makes all the difference when developing enterprise software, granted if all your doing all day is banging away on word/PowerPoint or knocking out excel spreadsheets then yes an Intel 386 paired with a 14 inch CRT is all you need...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Rubbish a decent spec makes all the difference when developing enterprise software, granted if all your doing all day is banging away on word/PowerPoint or knocking out excel spreadsheets then yes an Intel 386 paired with a 14 inch CRT is all you need...
          Well there is always an option for the OP to take if he doesn't like the situation.

Comment

That is the problem. I cant blame my tools, because they not my tools.

northenladuk, I think you burning out mate, that is what happens when you constantly listen to stupid people moaning over and over. It seems your comments are very sarcastic, maybe you need to retire from the site as you may not be helping as much as you actually think you are. I know I can resign if I want to but I did not build my professional reputation by accepting or providing adequate solutions for adequate people.

I suppose the other comments here with other people walking off with my equipment is valid, although never happened in other places I worked at. I suppose I need to get ISO locks sorted and bolt it down to my desk, and bolt my desk down to the floor. I suppose getting a set of cheaper, portable monitors and getting them PAT tested and somehow burning my company details into the plastic should do the trick.

Interesting comments here, thanks.

Comment

I'll bet PAT testing isn't the main reason. I'd bet they haven't got to grips with a BYOD policy so they revert back to the easiest thing to blame that's black and white. If their security policies don't work then PAT testing is the least of your problems.

Comment

At current client co you can get your own kit PAT tested.
                Beer
                is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'll bet PAT testing isn't the main reason. I'd bet they haven't got to grips with a BYOD policy so they revert back to the easiest thing to blame that's black and white. If their security policies don't work then PAT testing is the least of your problems.
                  Cheers, that confirms my main concern. Such a shame as I work with really nice people and the project is amazing. Don't want to ruin that by stiring to much muck up. Thought maybe somebody else PAT tested their equipment and were successful in "bypassing" this issue, but it seems the root cause is company policies that apply to everybody, rightfully or not.

Comment

Bollocks! My personal laptop allows me to fire up VM's and simulate entire environments, has a myriad of tools I've collected over the years for doing advanced work, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I can handle keeping it off the network, but not having my laptop with me is like losing an arm.

But, of course, I'm a proper consultant

Comment

Working...
                    X