• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAT testing?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My company recently bought one of these. I can now offer preferential rates to PAT test the whole site whilst on the contract. So far done OK and expect next year should be interesting as they have my mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      My company recently bought one of these. I can now offer preferential rates to PAT test the whole site whilst on the contract. So far done OK and expect next year should be interesting as they have my mobile.
      Wow, a £184 multimeter.. its just continuity test.. u can use a 5 quid meter to proove that but yea, it doesnt show you on LCD screen that text.

Any way, its the certificate and labels that are important I suppose. You may have a nice business here if you can PAT test small amounts of equipment for contractors...
      but as mentioned before, it seems like PAT test is just a smoke screen.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrkula View Post
        Wow, a £184 multimeter.. its just continuity test.. u can use a 5 quid meter to proove that but yea, it doesnt show you on LCD screen that text.
        No it's not and no you can't.

Comment

Wow, a £184 multimeter
          Well the first thing that's required for a PAT test is a visual inspection. I wouldn't recommend you to start offering this service as your next up-sell.

Comment

I worked for a client and someone brought in there own desk fan, left it on over the weekend, it caused a million pound worth of damage, well the fan only burnt out one pod of desks and caused the smoke damage the fire brigade did the rest pulling the ceiling and the air conditioning down.

probably want to check your insurance cover before taking your own equipment in whether PAT tested or not, Just saying like!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              No it's not and no you can't.
              A PAT test meter, what does it do then that is so special? no seriously, I can use a £5 meter to do the exact same tests.. but I get it. There are industry standards that need to be sorted.

Yea insurance is the other thing... which one covers that? Public Liability?

Comment

Originally posted by piotrkula View Post
                A PAT test meter, what does it do then that is so special? no seriously, I can use a £5 meter to do the exact same tests.. but I get it. There are industry standards that need to be sorted.

Yea insurance is the other thing... which one covers that? Public Liability?
                Go on then - how do you do an insulation test with a multimeter? Or what about Earth leakage?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  Well the first thing that's required for a PAT test is a visual inspection. I wouldn't recommend you to start offering this service as your next up-sell.

wikipeadia

Testing involves a visual inspection of the equipment and any flexible cables for good condition, and also where required, verification of grounding (earthing)continuity, and a test of the soundness of insulation between the current carrying parts, and any exposed metal that may be touched. The formal limits for pass/fail of these electrical tests vary somewhat depending on the category of equipment being tested.
                  The only thing I can see in there that that expensive meter tests is the "insulation between carrying parts" - That requires a high voltage to be applied and the meter checks if it penetrates whatever you are test. I can do that with a £5 meter too.. anyway. I understand PAT is important.

Comment

Sounds like you are all a bunch of silly billies for investing in a PAT approved multi meter to carry out PAT tests .

There's one born every minute
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I have yet to work for a company that will allow you to bring your own equipment in, whilst many are doing BYO device now they generally mean laptops or tablets, all items you can pick up and take home with you

The problem with anything left in the office is it's open to being nicked being a fire hazard and worst of all equipment envy, "they got one so I want one" before you know it the place will be full of 32inch LED monitors, 3 monitors because that's better than 2 right.

Much like a school uniform, everyone using the standard corporate issue makes it easier to control and support

Comment

Working...
                      X