• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two months contract - is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever been approached regarding a one, two or three month contracts (surely "with a huge prospective to extend")? Did you agree to apply and if you have done such a short contract did you have trouble explaining why it was so short to new clients? Is it just better to say no in the first place?
    Another option is probably not to put this experience on your CV at all but then how would you explain a same size gap?

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
    Have you ever been approached regarding a one, two or three month contracts (surely "with a huge prospective to extend")? Did you agree to apply and if you have done such a short contract did you have trouble explaining why it was so short to new clients? Is it just better to say no in the first place?
    Another option is probably not to put this experience on your CV at all but then how would you explain a same size gap?
    Yes, done a few of these. Never had them questioned, thats a permie mentality. Just describe them as short term or one off consultancy jobs to produce specific deliverables for the client. You can throw in some good stuff about working under time constraints, tight targets etc.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Also worth mentioning that very short contracts can often be extended (though no fault of yours of course!) and can be a good source of further contact from the client.

A good manager will remember the guy who came in to cover a short contract and delivered, when recruiting in the future.

Comment

When I've been questioned I've just looked the interviewer in the eye and said 'I'm a contractor - that's how contracting works'. You must have had extensions in the past. Point to those (if they're the same type of work) and say you that your skills haven't got worse, the client's requirements have changed in the past year.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I wont touch a contract that's less than 13 weeks \ 3 months. Some will and some will say they took a chance on a 4 weeker that turned into 2 years or whatever.

Each to their own. More info here
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Don't put dates on your CV.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
              Don't put dates on your CV.

Boo
              Yeah, great idea. Then any prospective client has no idea whether you've had loads of 4 week contracts or not.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Yeah, great idea. Then any prospective client has no idea whether you've had loads of 4 week contracts or not.
                This. Every time you put a blocker in the way it moves you down the pecking order.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wont touch a contract that's less than 13 weeks \ 3 months. Some will and some will say they took a chance on a 4 weeker that turned into 2 years or whatever.

Each to their own. More info here
                  For what it's worth, I'm generally of the same opinion as BB here.

Maybe if it was a really worthwhile client/project, then I might consider it.
                  Last edited by jmo21; 28 December 2015, 13:28.

Comment

You can put durations without giving dates.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    This. Every time you put a blocker in the way it moves you down the pecking order.
                    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    For what it's worth, I'm generally of the same opinion as BB here.
                    IME the clients don't gaf about dates, its only the agents who whinge. And they only do that when there's not really a job there...

Boo

Comment

Working...
                    X