• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barc at the moon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<Barclays ATM Meltdown Placeholder>
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Anyone pay their Talk Talk bill by direct debit from Barclays?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        I agree to a point, but, apart from not becoming "part and parcel", contract length, in itself, has no bearing on IR35.
        Absolutely technically it won't but HMRC won't agree and you'll have to have a lot of evidence to prove it. The JLJ case hinged on a long term arrangement which ceased to be outside to be IR35 because people took their eye off the ball. It wouldn't be a bad starting point for HMRC to pick long term engagements and start digging. Some people may keep it straight down for the whole duration. Most won't. Duration itself won't but with duration comes changes of working which is a factor.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          The JLJ case hinged on a long term arrangement which ceased to be outside to be IR35 because people took their eye off the ball.
          That was the one where he was getting some kind of yearly auto extension, I believe?
          That's what I call taking your eyes off the ball.

It wouldn't be a bad starting point for HMRC to pick long term engagements and start digging.
          Would be very bad for some

Duration itself won't but with duration comes changes of working which is a factor.
          Exactly this
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Indeed.

However, I don't understand the refusing an extension on "general principle", banking programs can last a lot longer than 12 months.

Duration, certainly, doesn't make you a permie tractor, as once a regulatory program has delivered, for example, there will never be an interest in retaining the headcount, as the budget will have been depleted.
            Fair enough about the banking programmes, however, I've never worked in banking so that's never affected me.

As for the "12 months max.", aside from any potential IR35 issues for staying in one place too long, it's really a personal thing for me. The absolute primary reason I ditched permie-land and became a contractor was the ability to be flexible and switch jobs frequently. It's allowed me to gain a much broader array of experiences and skills whilst keeping everything "fresh" year on year. As they say, a change is as good as a rest!

Comment

That was the one where he was getting some kind of yearly auto extension, I believe?
              That's what I call taking your eyes off the ball.
              That was one factor but the major one was control. They just gave him work as they saw fit rather than delivering a detailed package. Something that a client can easily fall into if you've been around so long you are part of the wood work.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Barclays go through a fairly regular cycle of outsourcing->insourcing->outsourcing->insourcing and have staff re-organisations every 9 months or so, and so suffer the dreadful lack of productivity that comes along with that. It seems the senior execs think that "x" isn't working, so have a shuffle, keeping themselves safe in the process and come up with "x, but with fewer staff". That usually involves stopping and restarting from scratch various projects. 'They' could easily run their entire IT on half the workforce if they simply stopped tinkering and coming up with new and wonderful ways to change things.

After 22 months there, I left, sick of the constant uncertainty.

A quick Google for "barclays tcs" brought up a history of Barclays and TCS tie ups and cut offs, e.g.
                Barclays to snap ties with TCS | Business Standard News
                Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                  Barclays go through a fairly regular cycle of outsourcing->insourcing->outsourcing->insourcing and have staff re-organisations every 9 months or so, and so suffer the dreadful lack of productivity that comes along with that. It seems the senior execs think that "x" isn't working, so have a shuffle, keeping themselves safe in the process and come up with "x, but with fewer staff". That usually involves stopping and restarting from scratch various projects. 'They' could easily run their entire IT on half the workforce if they simply stopped tinkering and coming up with new and wonderful ways to change things.

A quick Google for "barclays tcs" brought up a history of Barclays and TCS tie ups and cut offs, e.g.

It was then in 2005!

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post

Do you know if the latest one is the investment or retail arm (or both)?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                      On the plus side, the 2 year rule could create a bit of churn. There might be a few roles coming out of the place for a change. :-D
                      there wont be many roles coming out as a lot of permies are being cut, as they dont want to move up north to where their jobs are going. I know of someone who was told after their last extension it be the last and then they were asked a month before the end would they stay for another 6 months, they have been there 4 years. And have had no rates cuts and they are on a very good day rate.

there was also another contractor who had been told they wouldn't be extended as they had been there to long i think less than 4 years but still more than 2. I think atm they are keeping developers with specialized skill sets.

Comment

Working...
                      X