• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

18 month gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 month gig

Has come up. Not so sure about the 18 month thing I must admit...

I'm sure we've all had 3 monthers where they'd said 3-6 months max and then been there years. But not sure about kicking off with 18 months to start with.

Yes it shows intend/budget from client for NOW but things change. You can bet a pound to a pinch of tulip that they will have a notice period in there so the 18 month is hardly providing anything at all.

In fact, I'd say its probably a disadvantage because we'll see if they want an 18 month commitment with no notice period on contractor side. Agent at the moment is indicating this.

3 months I have no problem with. If it turns out to be a dogs dinner you can choose not to renew. But 18 months where you can't leave but they can can you doesnt sound too great to me.

Rate is not brilliant and, of course, runs over April 2016 when, as we all know, things change, so there is no chance for an increase to take into account.

Anything else I've forgotten?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Looks like they want a 'permanent' person for 18 months to 2 years but then the flexibility to bin them, which is what FTC's are generally used for. Doesn't look like a contractor style gig so I also would be very wary of how they treat you making IR35 a big problem.

Unless there was something outstanding about this I wouldn't be touching it with a barge pole particularly with no notice period in it. I don't contract to get stuck at clients for 18 months. Ditch it and move on IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WNLUKS.

The question however is, wouldn't it be better being on such a contract than on JSA?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Looks like they want a 'permanent' person for 18 months to 2 years but then the flexibility to bin them, which is what FTC's are generally used for. Doesn't look like a contractor style gig so I also would be very wary of how they treat you making IR35 a big problem.

Unless there was something outstanding about this I wouldn't be touching it with a barge pole particularly with no notice period in it. I don't contract to get stuck at clients for 18 months. Ditch it and move on IMO.
        Although it does appear to be project specific. I.e they want someone to lead on a project.

Know what you mean though....If it turns out tulipe Im stuck....

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          WNLUKS.

The question however is, wouldn't it be better being on such a contract than on JSA?
          Nope because I couldnt watch jeremy kyle then.

I'm currently in a gig which is likely to extend btw.

Comment

I don't see why you would be stuck for 18 months? notice works both ways...
            As long as you are there for 3 or 6 months it will look like a regular gig on your cv and if you talk to them before handing your notice in you can avoid any bad blood.. (maybe)
            If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
              Errrr, sometimes, you need to negotiate.
              with no notice period on contractor side. Agent at the moment is indicating this.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                There is no requirement whatsoever for notice to be mutual. When I hired contractors, I preferred to be able to get rid of them with no notice, yet for them to be unable to give me notice.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

for a contract to be legal it has to be fair and balanced.
                  that's contract law 101

Any challenge to a lopsided contract would likely be upheld in a court.
                  That said, if you sign it and are aware of the content... caveat emptor.

I read the OP as zero notice rather than unable to serve notice. in the latter case would that not be seen as a business to business contract rather than any kind of FTC? as the supplier is locked in and cant operate like an employee at all?
                  If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

I read the OP as zero notice rather than unable to serve notice. in the latter case would that not be seen as a business to business contract rather than any kind of FTC? as the supplier is locked in and cant operate like an employee at all?
                    Could be advatageous.
                    Usually worded as the consultancy company has to serve full term, i.e. they are locked in.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X