• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

18 month gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Doesnt bother me for 3 monthers. If its tulip, then dont renew - its only 3 months.

But I agree for longer than that.... Trouble is there always someone who will bend over and take it.
    So anyone taking a gig for longer than 3 months is 'bending over and taking it'? Maybe some people are a little more professional and are happy with the situation and can deal with stuff a lot better than others so turning a 'bend over and take it' gig in to a perfectly good bit of short term income.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      So anyone taking a gig for longer than 3 months is 'bending over and taking it'? Maybe some people are a little more professional and are happy with the situation and can deal with stuff a lot better than others so turning a 'bend over and take it' gig in to a perfectly good bit of short term income.
      No I was referring to another posters words. IMHO there is nothing wrong with accepting a 3 month with no notice. Bit longer and it starts getting iffy IMHO.

Merely trying to highlight that there are lots of contractors out there who will accept anything without even checkging.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Having a no-notice clause is unlikely to buy the client any security. If the contractor really wants to leave he will do. What is the client going to do, pour the remaining budget into perusing some contractor with shaky legal claims? The will just hire another and move on.

I'm no legal expert, but any attempt to seek damages based on the clause would simply result in the tribunal declaring the clause worthless. Unless you know of any precedents...
        Might be true but not in clients head maybe. They think if we give no notice then person will stay regardless and we won't have any hassle. Also, they'll be impressed if we offer a long contract.

But we'll keep our notice period in case they turn out to be crap.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Doesnt bother me for 3 monthers. If its tulip, then dont renew - its only 3 months.

But I agree for longer than that.... Trouble is there always someone who will bend over and take it.
          Yeah, someone will. My general point though was that if you're actually any good and not one of the bums on seat contractors then you don't compete with this lot.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            Yeah, someone will. My general point though was that if you're actually any good and not one of the bums on seat contractors then you don't compete with this lot.
            ^ This.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Merely trying to highlight that there are lots of contractors out there who will accept anything
              Unlike you, who will generally accept anything, without any negotiation, then spend the rest of the time whinging about it on here.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I wouldn't accept anything longer than a months notice. Don't care what notice is on their side as they can stop at any time in practise. Or as you say a 3 month contract with no notice at somewhere I already know and trust the management.

This nonsense about being big enough to tolerate 18 months anywhere is rubbish. There is nothing to stop the IT department being taken over by the worst Indian outsourcers during that time for instance, or getting the manager from hell as your new boss. If you are really telling me you would tolerate bullying, racism, and all the other stuff that goes with Indian outsourcers you are mad.

If there was really no negotiation room, and I really needed the money, then I would do it through an umbrella then they take the risk of any breach of contract if you need to walk. Although in practise you risk only getting minimum wage for your last billing period of hours if you did walk and the end client didn't pay, this would still be better than being dragged through the courts for breach of contract.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                  If you are really telling me you would tolerate bullying, racism, and all the other stuff that goes with Indian outsourcers you are mad.

If there was really no negotiation room, and I really needed the money, then I would do it through an umbrella then they take the risk of any breach of contract if you need to walk. Although in practise you risk only getting minimum wage for your last billing period of hours if you did walk and the end client didn't pay, this would still be better than being dragged through the courts for breach of contract.
                  1) Wipro was without doubt the most horrific experience I have ever been through in my entire career. The abuse damaged my health. I would have any offmy friends who entered a non reciprocal agreement with them committed.

2) Absolutely. But if it's really working conditions just do something to get fired.

If you have a reputable CxO level (or similar) referee who has known you for a while, you can blow off any last reference concern. After doing Huawei and Wipro back to back I had to pull out this joker.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                    1) Wipro was without doubt the most horrific experience I have ever been through in my entire career. The abuse damaged my health. I would have any offmy friends who entered a non reciprocal agreement with them committed.
                    I can sympathise, having worked with some ex TCS staff, worse than horrific. I did 3 months before refusing the offered extension.
                    Was told "Maybe this roles not right for you."

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Methinks I'm going to walk away from this one - interview 'day' mentioned. No thanks....

Comment

Working...
                      X