• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Advice on Programming contracts for junior developers - timeframe and fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Programming contracts for junior developers - timeframe and fees

Hello. I have been asked to build a cross-browser extension, and I have never built one before. I wondered, firstly, what sort of timeframe I should be looking at, and secondly, what sort of fee? I am also new to contract work, having left the industry as a data harvester and junior developer for self-employment, just a few months ago. Should I be charging per hour, or a flat fee for such a project?

Originally posted by enigma1000 View Post
    Hello. I have been asked to build a cross-browser extension, and I have never built one before. I wondered, firstly, what sort of timeframe I should be looking at, and secondly, what sort of fee? I am also new to contract work, having left the industry as a data harvester and junior developer for self-employment, just a few months ago. Should I be charging per hour, or a flat fee for such a project?
    I can tell you, but I will invoice you

Comment

Originally posted by enigma1000 View Post
      Do they know your situation? Do they have a budget? Is there a deadline? Do you have any deadlines?

What is your experience? Has the client done anything similar before? Has anyone else done anything similar before? Does it have to be cross-browser?

Comment

<placeholder>Can anyone write a cross-browser extension. </placeholder >
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          <placeholder>Can anyone write a cross-browser extension. </placeholder >
          Depends how many browsers you want it to work across.. Chrome, Ff, IE 11... Yeah

IE 5.5, 6 and Netscape... Not so much.

Comment

Do you already have the contract then? The fee depends on what the client can afford. If you go for a fixed rate, make sure the specification is pretty well nailed down.

How long it will take is a similar question to "how long is a piece of string" - depends on what the extension does.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
              Depends how many browsers you want it to work across.. Chrome, Ff, IE 11... Yeah

IE 5.5, 6 and Netscape... Not so much.
              Don't forget the new Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 !
              Part of a 'huge' umbrellas's site works perfectly in Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and IE but fails in Edge .. hehe

'aint revealing the brolly.

Comment

Working...
              X