• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever tried this trick...

Your lunch costs £3, but the person in front of you paid more and left their receipt behind.

Pick up that receipt and claim more!
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Anyone EVER checked your receipts?

I hope no-one checks mine. Dear Mrs PC chucked out a manky old envelope the other day with a years worth of lunch receipts. Gone....
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

I hope no-one checks mine. Dear Mrs PC chucked out a manky old envelope the other day with a years worth of lunch receipts. Gone....

Always part of any HMRC inspection..
        Last edited by MrMarkyMark; 5 October 2015, 13:50.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

You pay her how much for this service???
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You pay her how much for this service???
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Absolutely, consider it a 20% discount. Include breakfast and dinner if you eat them on site.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

IIRC my accountant said that you can claim a fiver on incidentals if you're away from home for over 5 hours. Which is more than I would spend at the canteen anyway so I don't bother collecting receipts anymore, just indicate which days I was at the client site.

Comment

no wonder they're trying to tighten up on travel and subsistence p1ss taking, jesus

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    no wonder they're trying to tighten up on travel and subsistence p1ss taking, jesus
                    It's not piss taking if you are away from your company's offices and cannot make breakfast or lunch due to staying away over night.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                      IIRC my accountant said that you can claim a fiver on incidentals if you're away from home for over 5 hours. Which is more than I would spend at the canteen anyway so I don't bother collecting receipts anymore, just indicate which days I was at the client site.
                      The £5 incidentals is for an overnight stay only. It's not an allowance. You must have incurred the costs claimed.

Hours worked/away are irrelevant (unless using the scale rates, which you won't be).

Comment

Working...
                      X