• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see we all agree

That's helped me understand this a bit more. Has anyone ever been audited by HMRC and had questions raised around lunch receipts?

VC

Comment

I maintain all the receipts, but I do reckon to have some where I paid for some drinks for my work mates, or some expensive (but not luxurious) lunch/dinner, and the total value on those is higher than usual...
      Last edited by AnotherGuy; 8 October 2015, 11:40. Reason: fix typo

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
        I maintain all the receipts, but I do recon to have some where I paid for some drinks for my work mates, or some expensive (but not luxurious) lunch/dinner, and the total value on those is higher than usual...
        Reading some of your posts I think a spell checker and a proof read is in order... Not that I'm the best one to suggest that. Just saying like.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          no wonder they're trying to tighten up on travel and subsistence p1ss taking, jesus
          With fellow contractors like you coming out with comments like that its a lost cause then, go on Chancellor take all the contractor benefits.

Presently I am on 108 miles a day commute which I claim (against tax ) at 45ppm, and as I am away from home for 13hrs a day am entitled to claim for 2 meals (with a receipt) 10 quid per day. the 45p drops to 20 after 10000 miles when I will review if the gig is worth doing. (Umbrella)

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
            With fellow contractors like you coming out with comments like that its a lost cause then, go on Chancellor take all the contractor benefits.

Presently I am on 108 miles a day commute which I claim (against tax ) at 45ppm, and as I am away from home for 13hrs a day am entitled to claim for 2 meals (with a receipt) 10 quid per day. the 45p drops to 20 after 10000 miles when I will review if the gig is worth doing. (Umbrella)
            yeah it's definitely forum comments rather than the 1000s of people claiming lunches when they live 5 miles away from client site that's done it

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
              and as I am away from home for 13hrs a day am entitled to claim for 2 meals (with a receipt) 10 quid per day.
              These are umbrella rules (with dispensation to use scale rates) and not applicable to Ltd contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                yeah it's definitely forum comments rather than the 1000s of people claiming lunches when they live 5 miles away from client site that's done it
                If the travel and subsistence rules means that lunch costs are tax deductible, then there is no reason why you shouldn't claim it. Distance is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  These are umbrella rules (with dispensation to use scale rates) and not applicable to Ltd contractors.
                  The rules under which scale rates apply are still the same though (i.e. the subsistence must be in connection with business travel or travel to a temporary workplace, subject to the 24 month rule).

I've always assumed the tighter restrictions on how many meals you can claim under scale rates, based on hours away from home, was simply to prevent abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by HMRC View Post
                    They're all disguised employees. Travel and subsistence is no longer tax deductible. Distance is irrelevant.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X