• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hmmm! Short term contracting past is not seen as successful???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

4. Bit of a meh reason and the sort of contractor that the OP's client is clearly cautious of. They could have been left in the lurch before.
    But there could be a multitude of reasons for this. Surely this is why a lot us went contracting so that we were not tied into things. I.e. flexibility.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Hmmm, maybe to you, but not completely how I operate.

How about providing short, medium and longer term recommendations for them to invest and spend more money?

i.e. Proper consultancy

You have to be able to be experienced enough to provide strong justifications, risks and issues, required resourcing etc. etc.

I am anything but a brown noser and I am told I can be very forthright at times .

Have had least a years worth of extensions, at client co, that way, leading up to a team of 9 contractors.
      All very useful to increase your number of contacts, who may be able to provide business, in the future.
      Right way to be I will agree.

I've had gigs over two years, current gig has just extended up to a year. But I've also had one gig for 6 weeks - it was never going to be anything else.

I've had a really crap gig that I stayed there for 9 months too. Didnt get on with client at all but they kept extending.

Point is contract length is ZERO indicator of quality of contractor IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        2 not 1.
        Arguable. Number 1 exists for the reasons in number 2. They are not always distinct. If the client has budgeted properly number 1 and 2 would be the same.

And why are the other 3 "dumping" the client? Complete crap. As you often harp on about its a business relationship and the contractor has no obligation past the end of the current contract, neither does the client.
        OK, if we are talking about a situation where the contractor fulfils the contract then yes fair enough.

As for brown nosing I think we all know there is a difference. NLUK - I'm sure you could cause an argument in an empty room.

Sales pitch is letting the current client know what you can do, letting them know your skills, putting yourself in the frame.

Brown nosing is getting on side with the client just to get an extension. Generally, involves only doing tasks where you know you're going to look good, ignoring other stuff. Taking credit for other stuff. Im sure we've all met them.
        We know the difference and that is why no one but you uses these terms. It's you that needs to differentiate better and change your language from disgruntled permie speak to something a little more akin to the actual situation. What you explain isn't brown nosing, it's good business. Every business does it if it leads to sales and I've never heard it called brown nosing in any business circles.

But on a positive note....
        In general I would agree with this and it is surprising people that work with contractors, i.e. agents and clients don't get this. It's pretty fundamental.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 22 September 2015, 13:04.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Totally agree.
          I have been contacted before to "come and fix our scheduling service", for example.
          3 days, or so, tops providing they haven't done anything really stupid.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            But on a positive note....

In general I would agree with this and it is surprising people that work with contractors, i.e. agents and clients don't get this. It's pretty fundamental.
            It's really quite incredible, the conversation must go along the lines of...

clientco1: "tulip, we haven't the resource\skill for that piece of work but as it's only 3 months let's get a contractor in"
            clientco2: "great idea, keep me updated"
            clientco1: "can't find a contractor, they've all got short 3 months jobs on their CV"
            clientco2: "wtf"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Arguable. Number 1 exists for the reasons in number 2. They are not always distinct. If the client has budgeted properly number 1 and 2 would be the same.
              Not so sure. I've worked at client once who had tons of money but they only wanted contractors for a specific 6 week period. Because of the way they operated this was the important period during the year.

Comment

But there could be a multitude of reasons for this. Surely this is why a lot us went contracting so that we were not tied into things. I.e. flexibility.
                I don't disagree, I'm saying how a client may perceive it, which isn't compatible with your contracting philosophy. Personally I'd rather remain somewhere and deliver something than have to say why another venture seemed so short.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not so sure. I've worked at client once who had tons of money but they only wanted contractors for a specific 6 week period. Because of the way they operated this was the important period during the year.
                  The education industry only wants people during the school holidays (I have done it a couple of times).

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    I don't disagree, I'm saying how a client may perceive it, which isn't compatible with your contracting philosophy. Personally I'd rather remain somewhere and deliver something than have to say why another venture seemed so short.
                    So the choices are:-

1. Stay where you are when you don't really want to just in case someone down the line asks why you only stayed at client x for x months.

2. Accept or refuse contract extensions based on whats best for your business at the time. Be aware that there 'may' be clients down the line who incorrectly may have an issue with this but be glad you've dodged a bullet on that one because if that if that's all they're worried about they might be crap anyway.

Sorry - 2 every time for me.

So what happens when you start at a new client? Surely by this rationale you'd be scared stiff in case after 3 months client says sorry budget gone, no extension, thanks for everything and good luck. Must really bugger up your CV??

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      Last I heard you say you were not working in the UK?
                      True. But irrelevant. If I was doing what I'm doing now in the UK, I still would be firmly outside of IR35.
                      NAT...
                      How many times have they had the permie discussion?
                      Twice - but not for the same kind of work. There was no question of converting the role to permie - it wouldn't be possible anyway without some restructuring of the department. Turned it down the offer each time of course.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X