• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crazy PM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy PM

Started the contract a month ago, going through very hard time with the PM. He is calling himself also as Scrum Master for the project, but does not allow me - Lead Dev - to meet the Product Owner. He excludes me in any client meetings, at the same time he wants to be present in all technical discussions we have within the dev team. I have also noticed that he does not invite the Product Owner to the requirements discussions meeting the developers hold, but he insists that he should take the notes and he should discuss the same with the Product Owner separately, without any developer present. He always communicates with individuals separately, without letting others know what he was discussing with other, this often causes misunderstanding, as the opinion on issues may be different.

Time to get out?
    Last edited by Abraham; 19 September 2015, 09:13.

So...?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm so glad I don't care about stuff like this now. Reject politics in work - if someone wants to work differently, let them. Do what you can in the hours you have then leave promptly at the end of the day. Keep invoicing.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Out of interest is the PM permie or contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
          Started the contract a month ago, going through very hard time with the PM. He is calling himself also as Scrum Master for the project, but does not allow me - Lead Dev - to meet the Product Owner. He excludes me in any client meetings, at the same time he wants to be present in all technical discussions we have within the dev team. I have also noticed that he does not invite the Product Owner to the requirements discussions meeting the developers hold, but he insists that he should take the notes and he should discuss the same with the Product Owner separately, without any developer present. He always communicates with individuals separately, without letting others know what he was discussing with other, this often causes misunderstanding, as the opinion on issues may be different.

Time to get out?
          Why don't you go contracting and leave behind all this permie crap.

Edit: OP is on a contract - oh well.....

Comment

There are two types of PM: the ones that do bugger all, and the ones that actively get in the way. Sounds like you're stuck with a number two.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Sorry to hear you think you have a problem.

Clearly you don't, or rather the problem is that you have to realise that you don't have a problem.

Mr PM, has positioned himself to fail, or take all the glory. In either case you don't have a problem. Just keep your head down, keep the PM on side and keeeeeeeeeeeeep invoicing.

This is the kind of piss easy gig we all dream about.

HTH
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

90% of project managers give the rest a bad name.

You've got a control freak with trust issues, simple as that.
                Keep your emails, keep your 'arris covered and keep invoicing. As long as you keep the right side of IR35, it's an easy gig for you.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Sounds proactive, resourceful, wants to understand the technology, get involved etc.

@OP Do you know when he's next available?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    90% of project managers give the rest a bad name.

You've got a control freak with trust issues, simple as that.
                    Keep your emails, keep your 'arris covered and keep invoicing. As long as you keep the right side of IR35, it's an easy gig for you.
                    PM may be in this case, but you would find odd nutcase everywhere - so the problem is of individuals not role specific. I had a contractor BA working for me couple of years ago, who was a technical analyst (failed PM) managed to get himself in a as a BA - was a decent techie but was not interested in domain and would find excuses to not do core BA work. He would take every opportunity to become a PM (all the glory but none of the responsibility) - every time he saw a risk/issue, made a point to go around all senior folks to set alarm bells ringing.

I need complete autonomy but with people like these working for you, it is extremely difficult to keep noise down and everyone wants to come and 'help' you even though you don't need it. I had to put up with it for few months, but when it came to his renewal - I told his resource manager that the pipeline is drying up and we don't need him, managed without him for a month or two and then asked for another BA later on. I don't think that is a possibility for the OP so just put up with it and keep invoicing.

Comment

Working...
                    X