• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switching technologies (Java <-> .NET) - worth it? / dangers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching technologies (Java <-> .NET) - worth it? / dangers?

What would be your advice on switching technologies, e.g. from Java to .NET or vice versa, via permie role in order to boost your contracting opportunities in the future? The main target would be web development contracts.

Scenario:
    The assumption here is that you have zero to negligible experience from either Java or .NET and extensive experience from the other one. You would also have anything from average and beyond skills in JavaScript and appropriate frameworks & libraries (e.g. AngularJS, jQuery).

Taking a big hit in earnings seems a given starting somewhere between junior and senior with a new tech albeit you would of course retain all general knowledge of web development and JavaScript/framework/library know-how.

1) After how many years do you see that you would be comfortable in getting back to contracting and applying for .NET jobs if you'd been doing Java contracts and vice versa?

2) Do you see any dangers in this approach? In other words, imagine you work 2-5 years with this new tech and start contracting again; alas, the contracts are few and far between with the new tech. You are stuck applying to gigs with the old tech. How will agents / clients view your experience if it has been 2-5 years since you touched that tech?

The danger is both technology stacks evolve a lot during the time you spend getting experience in the other. There are always clients looking for people with the latest and greatest plus associated technologies.

You are better of being on the cutting edge of one of the technology stacks with it's associated technologies.

I suggest you network with the appropriate user groups.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

It'd make more sense for you to learn node/express, utilising your current JavaScript knowledge but learning how to be a backend developer.

Do a small express project, read about best practices, then find some angular roles wanting you to do some node work.

I'm fairly sure that exists because people try to recruit me for it.
      Last edited by fool; 10 September 2015, 18:05.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
        It'd make more sense for you to learn node/express, utilising your current JavaScript knowledge but learning how to be a backend developer.

Do a small express project, read about best practices, then find some angular roles wanting you to do some node work.

I'm fairly sure that exists because people try to recruit me for it.
        ^^WFS

However, I'd also consider what your end goal is. Is it to ensure you have access to a broad range of contracts through commodity skill sets hence more chance of work, or do you want to rise up the contract value chain?

For example, I currently have the C#/.Net/ASP.Net MVC/BI stack (SSIS/SSRS/SSAS) on my CV. What I find is that the vast majority of ASP.Net MVC development roles are lower down the value chain (other than in London and investment banks) than even the BI stack. One thing I am considering is going down the F# route or even moving over to Java/Scala to improve the potential of niche contracts. If it means taking a hit on rates for a while, then so be it.

The question I regularly ask myself is should I go for commodity, higher availability and lower rates or niche, lower availability and higher rates.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

SueEllen: This is a concern depending on the time spent on either technology and not with the other.

fool: Good advice. I have thought about that but do not see myself primarily as a JavaScript developer -- at least for now -- although I would like to spend more time on it & get better at it.

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
          The question I regularly ask myself is should I go for commodity, higher availability and lower rates or niche, lower availability and higher rates.
          That is a very good question. Currently, in my situation, I see breadth of opportunities as an advantage even if it means lower rates.

Comment

either one would be fine

I think both of them are in huge demand. Perhaps C# is ramping up now but I think there is less and less people getting into Java (as every single college is teaching C# now). If you want to get a nice niche skill go for Golang.

Comment

I may be a bit of a heretic, but having worked as a developer for 28 years using more than ten different languages, I consider the important skill is "programming". Sure each language has its quirks, but the overlaps are tremendous, especially once you're above a certain level of abstraction. (I'm currently getting to grips with functional languages R and Clojure). Any decent developer should be able to switch between similar languages without too much difficulty.

Therefore my advice is that gaining as much knowledge and experience of a handful of different languages will give you an advantage, depending on the type of projects you go for (i.e. probably not "bum on seat").
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Getting experience of different technologies does help no doubt. I know somone who is an expert Java and C++ developer and it works quite well, she switches between Java and C++ roles.

Clients do accept that languages are very similar and that experience does translate. Once you have a number of years if experience you don't really develop very much at all, and it usually only takes you a few days to learn the new stuff.

It is also "impressive" if you can boast solid experience in more than one language.

I got my first C/C++ contractor role even though the previous 18 months I'd spent programming Uniface. That was not an issue.

Uniface is almost useless but even so the odd role does pop up from time to time.
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 14 September 2015, 08:20.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I may be a bit of a heretic, but having worked as a developer for 28 years using more than ten different languages, I consider the important skill is "programming". Sure each language has its quirks, but the overlaps are tremendous, especially once you're above a certain level of abstraction. (I'm currently getting to grips with functional languages R and Clojure). Any decent developer should be able to switch between similar languages without too much difficulty.

Therefore my advice is that gaining as much knowledge and experience of a handful of different languages will give you an advantage, depending on the type of projects you go for (i.e. probably not "bum on seat").
                  As a developer of some 20+ years myself, I can say that this is absolutely correct, however, this is not how clients and especially agents see it.

If they're looking for a C# Dev, they won't give a monkeys about your 30 years experience in Java/C/C++/Smalltalk/ML/whatever and your high level of skill as a general purpose "programmer" that may allow you to ramp up quite quickly in C#. They want to see contract after contract in your recent work history where you've used C# all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                    As a developer of some 20+ years myself, I can say that this is absolutely correct, however, this is not how clients and especially agents see it.

If they're looking for a C# Dev, they won't give a monkeys about your 30 years experience in Java/C/C++/Smalltalk/ML/whatever and your high level of skill as a general purpose "programmer" that may allow you to ramp up quite quickly in C#. They want to see contract after contract in your recent work history where you've used C# all the way.
                    I agree with this. The only time I've seen or made an exception is if they have an associated skill that was required or they where a junior and happy for them to take the time to train up.

Comment

Working...
                    X