• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Psychology of long contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Clients seem to fall into two camps. One will moan that you take loads of holidays (ignore these and carry on), one will moan if you don't take holidays and come across as a money grabbing git....
    Absolute bollocks as usual. The first thing that strikes me is what idiot contractor that talks to his client in terms of holidays? The rest is just meh... I've never had a client complain about my availability ever, be it when I've worked 8 months straight or when I was away 4 weeks in a 3 month gig.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 September 2015, 12:12.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Absolute bollocks as usual. The first thing that strikes me is what idiot contractor that talks to his client in terms of holidays? The rest is just meh... I've never had a client complain about my availability ever, be it when I've worked 8 months straight or when I was away 4 weeks in a 3 month gig.
      Do we really need to quibble about terms used in posts? Yes we all know its not "holidays" and shouldnt be referred to with client as such.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Yes we all know its not "holidays" and shouldnt be referred to with client as such.
        When talking to the client, always use the phrase "working from home."
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

I have taken to skipping anything pc says- extremely long posts with nothing new/interesting
          "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
          Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
            I have taken to skipping anything pc says- extremely long posts with nothing new/interesting
            and who are you?
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
              I have taken to skipping anything NLUK says- fairly short posts with nothing new/interesting
              FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
                FTFY
                Arguably braver than No2Politics. Some real keyboard warriors on here at the moment!
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

...The first thing that strikes me is what idiot contractor that talks to his client in terms of holidays?...

Oh NLUK, you really do disappear up your own backside on occasion! Telling the client you won't be available for certain dates and mentioning that it's because you're having three weeks on your private island in the Bahamas, isn't an indicator of IR35.

However, like you, I take holidays (or not) as I choose and I've never had any complaints. I started contracting in 1996.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Oh NLUK, you really do disappear up your own backside on occasion! Telling the client you won't be available for certain dates and mentioning that it's because you're having three weeks on your private island in the Bahamas, isn't an indicator of IR35.

However, like you, I take holidays (or not) as I choose and I've never had any complaints. I started contracting in 1996.
                    Indeed I do and you are quite correct but on a long gig it's even more important than normal to get the exact terminology and process correct and stick to it to avoid the slip in to P&P. You get too comfortable and start requesting holidays with the client then it becomes and IR35 issue. A small flag yes but many small flags will start creeping in the longer you are with the client. I think the actions of the contractor can make a client think he takes a lot of hols/money grabbing or the client doesn't care because you deliver. Bearing in mind PC's history and the problems he seems to have with agents/clients that no one else has I believe my comment, although badly put, has some credibility.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Absolute bollocks as usual. The first thing that strikes me is what idiot contractor that talks to his client in terms of holidays?
                      The kind who has a relationship with their client? "I'm going on holiday, I won't be available between X and Y".
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X