• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top 15 Recruitment Agency tricks...!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 15 Recruitment Agency tricks...!!

Looks like I got lot of time in this forum today. After talking to couple of agencies in the morning I thought its worth learning & sharing new tricks ( and some older ones as well) of Agencies. Here is my pick of Top 15 !!

Feel free to comment on them with your experience and how you handled them. Also add recent ones seen from more 'innovative' agencies. Thanks.

1. “Need two references”.
    [Recent Status - Over used trick haven’t heard this recently].

2. "Who did you work for at Client X. Was it Tom"? "No", you say. "It was --".
    [Recent Status - Not that popular now a days, still come across couple of times in a month]

3. They post jobs on job boards that don't exist to get themselves a number of extra CVs and more leads.
    [Recent Status - Still well used by agencies]

4. They'll ask you "Tell us what companies that your CV has already been sent out to or had interviews so that we don't make the mistake of sending your CV there again ".

5. "What's your bottom line? What's the least that you would take to get a job? Obviously we will try to get as much as we can for you".

6. “What’s your current or last rate” – This also have same impact as “bottom line” question.

7. They'll put a clause in your contract that they and the client company can terminate you with a month's (or a week's) notice, but that you have no notice period with them.
    [Recent Status - Still well used by agencies, most of us either ignores or will not notice this]

8. If you get a job interview through them, they'll tell you that they'll call you back when they have any feedback. Will get call only if there is positive news!

9. When you don't get the job after interview or failed to progress after initial screening, they'll say they'll look for other jobs for you, but they won't.

10. They tell you that if you introduce them to another contractor that they get a job for, they'll pay you 250 or 500 quid.
    [Recent Status - Still well used by agencies, haven’t heard anyone got money..?]

11. Once they've got you a job, they may say that they weren't able to get you the rate that agreed earlier– that the client will only pay 5% or 10% less.

12. When are you available? Agencies call contractors ever so often to find out when they are available. This is likely to be a dirty trick. They are more interested in when your job might become available in market than when you are available.

13. Agency “managed services”. Client pays daily rate & you are salaried permanent employee of agency, rest goes to agency’s pocket....!

14. “Fixed term contract”. Client pays daily rate & you get fixed salary, rest goes to agency’s pocket..!

15. Agency “face to face Interviews”. Agency conducts screening interviews before client interview, just to get reference form filled.
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 2 July 2015, 12:01.

[QUOTE=Darren_Test;2112783]

Never had this.

Never had this

3. They post jobs on job boards that don't exist to get themselves a number of extra CVs and more leads.
    Not knowingly, but not surprised if this happens

4. They'll ask you "Tell us what companies that your CV has already been sent out to or had interviews so that we don't make the mistake of sending your CV there again ".
    Never had this. I have agencies tell me who their client is and if I have already had my CV sent across

5. "What's your bottom line? What's the least that you would take to get a job? Obviously we will try to get as much as we can for you".
    Fair enough question if they are working to a budget

6. “What’s your current or last rate” – This also have same impact as “bottom line” question.
    If asked I tell them what I'm looking for

7. They'll put a clause in your contract that they and the client company can terminate you with a month's (or a week's) notice, but that you have no notice period with them.
    Had it once. I made them remove it.

8. If you get a job interview through them, they'll tell you that they'll call you back when they have any feedback. Will get call only if there is positive news!
    Frequently, But then they only get bonus when they place someone, so they will focus on those who will make them dosh

9. When you don't get the job after interview or failed to progress after initial screening, they'll say they'll look for other jobs for you, but they won't.
    Agencies get roles then source candidates. They aren't paid by us to market us individually. So seems fair enough.

10. They tell you that if you introduce them to another contractor that they get a job for, they'll pay you 250 or 500 quid.
    Worked for me 3 times. For some agents I will pass on contractor details for 'free' .. partly as the contractors might be good mates and I know they are looking, and partly as I know the agents get good roles so i hope they will scratch my back in future

11. Once they've got you a job, they may say that they weren't able to get you the rate that agreed earlier– that the client will only pay 5% or 10% less.
    Never happened. Can't see why it ever would

12. When are you available? Agencies call contractors ever so often to find out when they are available. This is likely to be a dirty trick. They are more interested in when your job might become available in market than when you are available.
    A couple of agencies have tried this. If I don't know the agency, i make up a date

13. Agency “managed services”. Client pays daily rate & you are salaried permanent employee of agency, rest goes to agency’s pocket....!

14. “Fixed term contract”. Client pays daily rate & you get fixed salary, rest goes to agency’s pocket..!
    FTC means through payroll of ClientCo and you are treated as a permie. Agent gets a % of salary - day rate never comes in to it

15. Agency “face to face Interviews”. Agency conducts screening interviews before client interview, just to get reference form filled.
    Tried twice. I refused. Got the client interview anyway

If you think we have it bad with agents, you should see what the hiring managers at clients have. Constant calls from agencies ... 3-4 a day is not an exageration. I know, as I often work in hiring positions and I have to deal with their tulip. We have it easy really
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

If you think we have it bad with agents, you should see what the hiring managers at clients have. Constant calls from agencies ... 3-4 a day is not an exageration. I know, as I often work in hiring positions and I have to deal with their tulip. We have it easy really
      That's one of the main reasons why I absolutely refuse to give agencies client details. I've seen client staff absolutely harassed by agents when they are not the ones who have anything to do with hiring contractors or permanent staff.

The worst was when I was at a site where a permie didn't get a promotion so found a new job and resigned.

He thought he didn't get the role because of management not liking him when in fact it was because he didn't know basic stuff and was generally very unhelpful.

Anyway he ensured two of the guys who were more senior than him got bombarded with agency calls, when in fact it was other managers including the owner of the company who had made the decision not to promote him.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

[QUOTE=Whorty;2113054]
        Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

There has to be a better way. If only we could convince clients to cut out HR and engage in proper procurement.

Comment

This. I have "manager" in my title at clientco and get 3-4 emails a day and probably two calls a week from agents and solution providers. 90% of them are for technologies that we don't use. None of them are from agents I've dealt with in the past, they're all cold calls and email drops.

I string the odd one along on the phone for 15 minutes and then drop the "are you on the PSL?" line, they usually hang up pretty quick after that.

Comment

Not heard this for ages. Still seems to happen in public sector more than private
            Not for over 10 years
            Yep. Standard fishing
            Just know how to deal with it - in the need two references thread.
            What's the job offering? Let's not worry about your percentage for now, let's worry about getting me as the main person they want for the role.
            My response to pimps: irrelevant. Role/locations vary.
            If I feel it's restraint of trade and more importantly it has an impact on my income, I'll consult my solicitor
            Been called back with good and bad news, depends on the agency
            They do. You must have a bad cv or bad agents!
            Never introduced anyone myself but know someone who got £250 M&S vouchers for an intro
            You really do have no luck, do you?
            Happening less with IR35 and roles being more project-oriented in my line.
            Umbrella company?
            IR35-unfriendly. Ignore them.
            The agency can buy me a coffee if they want. It often helps to get face to face with them as you can see if their body language is good or not.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

An unequal notice period is restraint of trade issue?? Really?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Never had this.

Never had this

Not knowingly, but not surprised if this happens

Never had this. I have agencies tell me who their client is and if I have already had my CV sent across

Fair enough question if they are working to a budget

If asked I tell them what I'm looking for

Had it once. I made them remove it.

Frequently, But then they only get bonus when they place someone, so they will focus on those who will make them dosh

Agencies get roles then source candidates. They aren't paid by us to market us individually. So seems fair enough.

Worked for me 3 times. For some agents I will pass on contractor details for 'free' .. partly as the contractors might be good mates and I know they are looking, and partly as I know the agents get good roles so i hope they will scratch my back in future

Never happened. Can't see why it ever would

A couple of agencies have tried this. If I don't know the agency, i make up a date

FTC means through payroll of ClientCo and you are treated as a permie. Agent gets a % of salary - day rate never comes in to it

Tried twice. I refused. Got the client interview anyway

You must be a ******* agent if you've never heard of or had 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 11.

As for 10, you must be friggin' unique then.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I have absolutely had £250 referral fee as promised for getting another contractor on board with an agent. I didn't even have to chase them for it.

Comment

I've had almost all of those things before, when the market wasn't so great.

It's better now, but the thing I've noticed the most is recruiters saying they'll put my CV forward for roles, and then never doing so. I get a call 4 days later from another recruiter, asking if I've been put forward for X, and I say yeah, and they say have you heard anything back? And I say no, and they say okay well if you like I'll check to see if you've been put forward. I say yes, and they phone me back later saying "Yeah the client said they never received any CV from you".

I'm curious to know why this is happening - what's in it for them by not putting me forward but saying they have?

And is there anything you can do to counter it?
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X