• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Top 15 Recruitment Agency tricks...!!"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Sometimes you can get the budget increased.

I have done this on a couple of occasions, after the client has spoken to me.
    Usually I have made this clear to the agent prior, so the client is aware I want more before I go in.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Criticular View Post
    What would happen if you do? It's probably in client's interest too to make sure that an agent is not pocketing half of rate sending a cheapest possible junior.
    Oh clients will tell you about the budget for the work but not your rate. Though as I said some will show it to you.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    If the agent I just got off the phone with happens to be reading this can I just point out that inventing a suitable sounding contract ten miles from where someone who has been looking for a new contract for five months before trying to get leads off them in a completely unsubtle way makes you a complete and utter scumbag in my book.

Really hope your parents are proud of you.

Leave a comment:

• Criticular
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.
    What would happen if you do? It's probably in client's interest too to make sure that an agent is not pocketing half of rate sending a cheapest possible junior.
    Last edited by Criticular; 29 November 2016, 17:32.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Criticular View Post
    Did anyone try to ask a client about their budget during interview? What were the answers?
    Nope.

Sometimes they have a figure written upside down on a sheet of paper.

Leave a comment:

• Criticular
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    It potentially works in the fixed budget areas but many clients are getting wise to the tricks agencies pull and going with a percentage model. They'll often ask for a range of candidates to see what they get for their money - what does 40 v 60 v 80 per hour get them for example.
    Did anyone try to ask a client about their budget during interview? What were the answers?

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    It potentially works in the fixed budget areas but many clients are getting wise to the tricks agencies pull and going with a percentage model. They'll often ask for a range of candidates to see what they get for their money - what does 40 v 60 v 80 per hour get them for example.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    better get reading on JSA, you will need it.
    Dunno about that. We don't have enough information yet to prove he's a failed contractor.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Your solution to a problem that is not as common as you might think, might work about 1 in 10 times. In the other 9 times you just lost a role, GL using this approach on every application in the current market, better get reading on JSA, you will need it.
    Paging PC!

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Originally posted by pashton73 View Post
    This is the dirtiest trick that the agencies pull. If the agent has multiple contractors going for a position, the agent will only submit those with the lowest rate so that their margin is maximized no matter who gets the contract.

For example, if the client has agreed to pay £100 per hour for a consultant and the agent has 4 contractors who have said that they will accept £55, £57, £60 and £80; the contractor who wants 80 per hour will NOT be submitted because the agent would only make 20% margin as opposed to 40% plus on the lower 3. However, the agent will tell you that you’ve been submitted at 80 per hour when you have not been submitted at all. The agent does not care if the £80 per hour contractor is the best candidate, margin matters, nothing else.

SOLUTION: Do not give the agent your rate when asked. Instead, ask the agent what the best rate is that the client is willing to pay. When the agent suggests a derisory rate (55 or so), simply agree and ask to be put forward the silly rate the agent is telling you. You will most likely get the interview and beat the other candidates because they almost certainly not as qualified as you. It is important that you tell the client at the interview that you want the job and that if anybody (the Agent) tells the client that you’re no longer interested or have taken another position then have them call you directly to clear up the misunderstanding.

The agent will call you to give you the good news. At this point, tell the agent that the job is not more complex than described and you will only accept the position at 80 per hour. The agent will tell you that they have to check with the client to see if your new rate is acceptable. This is a lie, the agent will call the client and tell them that you are no longer interested or available but the other candidates are available.

The client will then call you directly to clear up the misunderstanding as requested. At this point you tell the client that you accepted the position at 80 per hour. The client will then know that the agent has lied to them, dump the agent and call another agent with the instruction to hire you at 80. – 20 years experience of IT contracting

Your solution to a problem that is not as common as you might think, might work about 1 in 10 times. In the other 9 times you just lost a role, GL using this approach on every application in the current market, better get reading on JSA, you will need it.

Leave a comment:

• missinggreenfields
    replied
    Originally posted by pashton73 View Post
    This is the dirtiest trick that the agencies pull. If the agent has multiple contractors going for a position, the agent will only submit those with the lowest rate so that their margin is maximized no matter who gets the contract.

For example, if the client has agreed to pay £100 per hour for a consultant and the agent has 4 contractors who have said that they will accept £55, £57, £60 and £80; the contractor who wants 80 per hour will NOT be submitted because the agent would only make 20% margin as opposed to 40% plus on the lower 3. However, the agent will tell you that you’ve been submitted at 80 per hour when you have not been submitted at all. The agent does not care if the £80 per hour contractor is the best candidate, margin matters, nothing else.

SOLUTION: Do not give the agent your rate when asked. Instead, ask the agent what the best rate is that the client is willing to pay. When the agent suggests a derisory rate (55 or so), simply agree and ask to be put forward the silly rate the agent is telling you. You will most likely get the interview and beat the other candidates because they almost certainly not as qualified as you. It is important that you tell the client at the interview that you want the job and that if anybody (the Agent) tells the client that you’re no longer interested or have taken another position then have them call you directly to clear up the misunderstanding.

The agent will call you to give you the good news. At this point, tell the agent that the job is not more complex than described and you will only accept the position at 80 per hour. The agent will tell you that they have to check with the client to see if your new rate is acceptable. This is a lie, the agent will call the client and tell them that you are no longer interested or available but the other candidates are available.

The client will then call you directly to clear up the misunderstanding as requested. At this point you tell the client that you accepted the position at 80 per hour. The client will then know that the agent has lied to them, dump the agent and call another agent with the instruction to hire you at 80. – 20 years experience of IT contracting
    Thanks, I needed cheering up

You are presuming that the agency is always operating on the basis that they aren't working on a percentage basis. The majority of agencies that I deal with are always working on a fixed-percentage margin, which means that they are interested in getting the best-priced contractor in there. The higher the rate, the more they get because they are on a fixed rate. This is particularly important where the agency is working on a low margin level.

You are presuming that all agents act the same way and won't tell the client that you lied about the rate and then jacked it up.

You are presuming that the client is interested in chasing someone when they have other people lined up that can do the role.

You are presuming that the client has the ability to dump the agency, has other agencies that they will use, wants to go through the hassle of going through another agency, and is prepared to do this for one contractor who has at some stage in the process not been honest with someone else.

Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• pashton73
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    I try and work with the agencies that I've worked with in the past where possible, mainly because they know I'll generally get extended so I'm worth more to them. I guess that works both ways; if you've had a candidate get extension after extension and not cause bother or quit on you, then you're more likely to big them up to the client.

Leave a comment:

• Agent
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Agree with the concept of building relationships etc but it needs to be a two way thing. The concept of cowboy behaviour is much more prevalent in the recruitment industry then any other aspect of my daily living encounterments, so disagree with your statement in relation to this.
    Totally agree, it's more prevalent because you interact with IT recruiters on a regular basis. If you were a property developer then you'd no doubt think just as highly of estate agents (or maybe you do anyway). I don't disagree with you, there's tons of bad agencies, but in my line of work the most prevalent cowboys are bad IT contractors (there's an endless stream). It's all a case of perspective I guess.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Agent View Post
    It's really interesting to read about the hate/hate relationship that a lot seem to have with agencies.

OP - my suggestion would be to build some strong relationships with the right agencies. By this I mean agencies that have multiple contract roles within your skill set (look at their current / historic adverts and website). Try and find local agencies if you can, arrange to meet them for a coffee, treat them as you would treat any customer (as this is essentially what they are). Look for specific recruiters that have been with their current company for 2-3 years minimum. It takes a along time to build a contract desk so a rookie isn't going to have the volume of requirements that a seasoned contract recruiter would. Also focus on recruiters that do purely contract recruitment, dual desk recruiters (contract & perm) will always end up being perm and won't have many contract roles as they simply can't compete with an out and out contract recruiter.

You can think what you like about how ethical (and how greedy) agencies are but if you are relying on them to secure work then you need to get them on board. I've been a recruiter for over 10 years and yes I try to make a good margin but not at the cost of losing a placement. I'll often not put the 'best candidate on paper' forward because their attitute stinks and they are clearly going to be a menace long term.

Even for contract roles, it's a 70/30 decision from any hiring manager - 70% skills, 30% personality. If the agent believes that you won't let him down or mess you around and you show the same repect that he/she shows you then you'll find that you will generally be put forward and will secure interviews.

The influence that an agency (a good one) has with their client is often under-rated. I'll put 5 CV's forward for a contract and if the skills sets are similar the client will always ask for my recommendation on which two to interview. I always pick the ones that I personally liked and felt wouldn't let me down.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of cowboy recruiters out there - that's no different to any industry. As a contractor, you're a company, you need to build and maintain a reliable supply chain / customer base. Do the ground work and even if that recruiter changes companies, he'll still be there for you in his next company.
    Agree with the concept of building relationships etc but it needs to be a two way thing. The concept of cowboy behaviour is much more prevalent in the recruitment industry then any other aspect of my daily living encounterments, so disagree with your statement in relation to this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X