• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DV Clearance: Easy out?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DV Clearance: Easy out?

[My first post, so go easy on me please!]

I'm SC cleared and have been pressured into applying for DV by my employer. Actually, I was informed after the fact that I had been submitted.

Not sure if I would get the clearance or not (still some outstanding debts and a slew of other things which may be questionable) but more significantly, I don't really want it.

I've lived in the U.A.E. before and would like to retire there some day.

Frankly, I'd rather not have access to anything that would make me a target (and with the client/information in question, I'm fairly certain I would be).

I also have a moral objection to the way that our security services seem to operate and "Don't know, don't tell" only goes so far.

So my question is 2-pronged; Firstly, what restrictions are placed on someone with DV clearance? Do I need to pre-approve holidays, surgeries with general anaesthetics, etc.. And secondly, is it possible to politely say "Thanks, but I really don't want this level of scrutiny of my life, I'd prefer not to know" without my employer knowing that I intentionally flunked?

We're a small company (ISV) and not being cleared will cause some issues in terms of support for specific clients. I don't want to cause my employer problems if I can avoid it, but I really would rather not be in the know for some information.

If we had a larger team, it would be less of an issue - we have some foreign nationals who won't be eligible - but I'd rather not be "the DV tech guy".

Any advice / suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

After what you have just posted on here, you won't get it, provided that they vet you correctly.

If you don't want DV, then you won't be cleared, simples!
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by NotTheGuyYouAreLookingFor View Post
      [My first post, so go easy on me please!]

I'm SC cleared and have been pressured into applying for DV by my employer. Actually, I was informed after the fact that I had been submitted.

Not sure if I would get the clearance or not (still some outstanding debts and a slew of other things which may be questionable) but more significantly, I don't really want it.

I've lived in the U.A.E. before and would like to retire there some day.

Frankly, I'd rather not have access to anything that would make me a target (and with the client/information in question, I'm fairly certain I would be).

I also have a moral objection to the way that our security services seem to operate and "Don't know, don't tell" only goes so far.

So my question is 2-pronged; Firstly, what restrictions are placed on someone with DV clearance? Do I need to pre-approve holidays, surgeries with general anaesthetics, etc.. And secondly, is it possible to politely say "Thanks, but I really don't want this level of scrutiny of my life, I'd prefer not to know" without my employer knowing that I intentionally flunked?

We're a small company (ISV) and not being cleared will cause some issues in terms of support for specific clients. I don't want to cause my employer problems if I can avoid it, but I really would rather not be in the know for some information.

If we had a larger team, it would be less of an issue - we have some foreign nationals who won't be eligible - but I'd rather not be "the DV tech guy".

Any advice / suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
      Nobody but the vetting office(r) will know the content of the vetting report. Your employers will not find out, they will simply be told if you have been cleard or not. When the interview comes around just tell the vetting officer what you have said here and you wont get it. If you want to make really sure, you can politely refuse to answer their questions.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why would anyone not want DV?

If I had DV I'd be rich now, getting the choice of contract wherever I wanted.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Why would anyone not want DV?

If I had DV I'd be rich now, getting the choice of contract wherever I wanted.
          No you wouldn't.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No you wouldn't.
            When I started contracting I thought the holy grail would be SC stuff, but everything I see that requires it pays average rates at best and always seems to be using old tech.

Chanced calling one and a very frustrated agent told me that the customer had refused point blank to consider anyone who wasn't currently SC - that role was popping up for months!

Not sure I'm that fussed now. Main advantage would be the captive market, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              When I started contracting I thought the holy grail would be SC stuff, but everything I see that requires it pays average rates at best and always seems to be using old tech.

Chanced calling one and a very frustrated agent told me that the customer had refused point blank to consider anyone who wasn't currently SC - that role was popping up for months!

Not sure I'm that fussed now. Main advantage would be the captive market, I guess.
              That really is the only advantage clearance gives you. It is effectivly a closed market with a finite number of people who hold clearance. Historically rates were better but these have come down along with everything else. If you are happy working in the Public Sector or on Public Sector related projects it does make getting new gigs easier, as there are always more jobs than people to do them and once you are in word of mouth / networking becomes a major source of contracts.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

So my question is 2-pronged; Firstly, what restrictions are placed on someone with DV clearance?
                AFAIK, DV itself does not mean you will be restricted in any way (other than the requirement not to divulge information of course). There may be specific roles that incur such restrictions but you cannot sleepwalk into such a restriction, you would have to agree it beforehand in full knowledge.

Do I need to pre-approve holidays, surgeries with general anaesthetics, etc.. And secondly, is it possible to politely say "Thanks, but I really don't want this level of scrutiny of my life, I'd prefer not to know" without my employer knowing that I intentionally flunked?
                I believe your employer will be given a precis of the reasons you were not cleared and possibly also a list of things that they should keep from you / things you *are* permitted to do / see.

I'd just tell your employer you don't want to go through the process. If it is a requirement for the job then they will tell you that and give you the opportunity to leave. Otherwise you're scot free. But they will want your reasons for sure, and will probably act like they smell a rat when you say "privacy".

Good luck,

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

It can't be a bad thing having SC. I was bothered when mine lapsed before I could get another SC gig but there aren't that many places that need it up here. It hasn't affected my career though. I was talking about the DV which I originally thought wasn't transferrable but reading it up it looks like it 'may be' transferrable in some instances and there is only a 6 month period between DV roles before it expires. I certainly wouldn't sit there waiting just for DV or SC roles to make sure it didn't expire TBH so it's extremely time dependant. One good none SC/DV gig and it's gone.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X